How to join a galvanized pipe to unthreaded T fitting?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcintoshmc

Reaction score
Okay, I'm changing out my drain, and the pipe came loose underneath. Initially I thought I broke it, and was extremely frustrated because I had to go underneath the home (all the way to the back!) at 8pm. Well, I see the pipe is not broken, it just came loose. I was surprised to see that it wasn't a threaded joint. How do I connect? Is there glue for galvanized joints?
View attachment ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1423374407.796824.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1423374422.226022.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1423374431.877344.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1423374452.166999.jpg

That is a brass tub waste with slip joint compression connections. You will need new nuts and gaskets/washers and the connection is pretty easy for DIYers. You need to take the old nut and gasket off of the tee turning counter clockwise. Match up the proper size (probably 1/1/2") at a hardware or home improvement store and reassemble.

Brassslipjointtubwaste.jpg

Reactions: SHR
Oh wow. Thank you.. I didn't know I could turn anything on the T joint. I'm off to lowes now

How would it connect the existing galvanized after cutting? Compression joints?

I'm sorry, meaning if I did go with pvc, how would I connect to existing galvanized

If you clean up the parts a little and follow the arrows as Frodo showed, you should only need new nuts, washers and gaskets.

Latest posts

Back