Need help with kitchen sink disaster.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distraught22

Reaction score
I noticed a small pole of water leaking from under my cabinet today. I opened it up only to see giant puddles of black water everywhere. My pipe had burst and it was a huge mess.

So I go down to the hardware store to get some parts, and they gave me a P-Trap (I think I'm saying that right, the pipe that looks like a backwards J), a wrench, and some putty. I go home and attempt to install the new P-trap. The left hand bolts come off fine, but when I go to remove the right hand ones, EVERYTHING CRUMBLES! :eek:

I couldn't believe what happened, I didn't mean to make things worse. Now the pipe that was connecting to it is totally destroyed as well and I don't know what to do. I am terrified and I don't want to live like this. What do I have to do? Please help me. :(

loosen up the nut close to the wall(that nut connects the trap arm to the drain). When you purchased the p-trap it should have came with the belly, the trap arm (together they make a p shape) and nuts.

I was looking at the last picture...loosen up the chrome nut before the 45 degree fitting and pull out the broken piece. Be careful, it may be hard to pull out, I don't want you to slip and cut yourself on the broken piece.

I keep trying to get a grip on that nut with my wrench but it won't stay on.
It keeps slipping and shaking.

I've never done this before and I'm afraid if I apply too much pressure it'll make things even worse.

If you're using channel locks don't grip it too tight. Too much grip will work against you with these nuts.

you might try to heat up that joint if you can't get it with channel locks (slip joint pliers) a lighter might just do the job...it's unconventional but it might just work.

People tend to use too much pressure on those nuts. You could try one of those rubber strap wrench thingies that people keep around for opening jars. I find they are pretty useful for amateur plumbers because they stretch instead of crimping.

1501539_lg.jpg

It could be that the joint is gummed up with calcium. A bit of PB blaster or some vinegar might help loosen it.

That's why people hire plumbers. If you're too afraid to do it yourself, hire a plumber. This is an easy fix and shouldn't cost too much if you shop around.

cut the nut with a hacksaw, split it with a flat head scerwdriver, wipe off the mess on the pipe with a rag, re-install new trap, TY, that will will be $97 please

Latest posts

Back