Hot Water Leaking ):

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshshay

Reaction score
So recently, my hot water heater in the garage has been leaking so I shut off the gas as well as the cold water inlet valve. I took my water heater out and had it recycled. While waiting for the new water heater to be delivered, I noticed that whenever a faucet is cracked opened in the house, water shoot backs out of the hot water outlet valve in the garage, causing a huge leakage. How do I fix this? There isn't a shut off valve for the hot water outlet. Thank you for reading:eek:

Sounds to me that when you open a faucet, you are venting the system, allowing the water to purge from the line. This is similar to filling a straw with water, with your finger stopping the air flow. Remove your finger, and the water in the straw will drain out. Once you install the new water heater, this action will stop.

Thanks for the reply Havasu, really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again!

A faucet mixes hot and cold water inside of the faucet body. So if there is no pressure on the hot side, the pressure on the cold side pushes the water back through the hot water piping, and out of the open pipe in your garage. If you can post a picture of the open piping in your garage, we should be able to recommend a temporary cap solution for you.

Latest posts

Back