Slotted thread cleanout cap removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the only house cleanout (that I can find) has a slotted recessed cover (flat tip screwdriver like tip in my common speak terms). It's a small cap, I think 3" in diameter and black plastic.

I've seen the multi prong type tools that have the various cleanout attachments on it and noticed some of these have slotted sections. Is this the right tool to use plus pipe wrench? I tried the back of an adjustable wrench and then pipe wrench the adjustable wrench but that seemed like it wasn't going to work.

With the multi prong tool how do you keep it engaged and not slipping off the cap, elbow grease? Also are there any additional steps that should be done before just wrenching -- spray vinegar or other penetrating type oil? The cap is plastic by the way. I understand destroying the cap is ok (i.e. chisel out) but I'm worried about cracking or damaging the underlying pipe by doing so.

Thanks for any tips!

Plastic cap. drill a couple holes in it so you can get a hacksaw blade through it. Then just cut twice from the center to the edge like a piece of pie.

Be careful you don't drop the pieces down the into the drain :eek:
Maybe a couple more holes and some wire attached to the cap just for insurance.

Cutting out a brass plug is harder

Latest posts

Back