i can't figure this out!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcdec0886

Reaction score
Ok well then alil off is better than nothing. ok this prob only happens in the morning when we wake up and when i get home from work. I have tested the water press coming into my house in the morning and after i get home from work and it is right around 70psi befor i turn on any other water in the house. but after i use some water (ie. when im in my upstairs bathroom and flush the toiletthe sink spits out water. but only if thats the first water sourse i touch. and or if im in my basement and turn on the sink down there the toliet starts to run.) but only in the early morning and right after i get home when the system has not been touched for a few hours. after that my incoming pressure is 60psi. and i have no more probs.

So why would my system increase pressure when its not being used for a few hours and why would my toliet fill once when i turn on the sink and or why would my sink spit out water when i flush the toilet. and i don't have a reg on my main water line. and no threm. exp. tank. and sorry for the spelling im not good at it thats why i work with my hands and not my words

It sounds as though you do have some thermal expansion going on. A thermal expansion tank should resolve that.

But you shouldn't be experiencing issues with only a 10 pound increase in pressure. That part doesn't make sense to me.

what kind of toilet are we talking about here?
sink make?
it sounds like you are getting pressure fluctuations in the main.. install a prv and set it to 60.

the municipal water pressure will vary but will be higher that your ideal system pressure, so during the day when you are not using fixtures it will climb somewhat.

appologys I cannot think very awesomely right now.. fighting a flu.

As a service plumber I am hearing " pressure, no prv, fixtures acting weird " and I would reccomend a prv. to keep the pressure regulated.

Perhaps others can offer a more Scientific insight As I currentlly lack the Wit. :)

Ok first off i would like to thank you both for your answers.
Now to answer Mr. Phishfood, Thats what i thought but the one Master i work with said i should not have T.X. without having a Prv on my system. but he did tell me how to do a T.X. test. I may of done it wrong im not sure but he had me put a gauge on the H.B. in my basemeant. befor i turned it on he had me run my hot water till the take fired then turn on the H.B. to see what my psi was. it was sitting at 60psi. and i sat there till the H.W.T. turned off and the pressure never changed. Did i do it right and is there another way to test for T.X.

Now on to Mr. Liquid,
the toilet make is american stand. and the sink make is a Price PFister.
with the toilet i at first i thought it was the insides that may of just been old and leaking so i went out and bought a duel flush water saver kit and put that in ps really its really nice to have one of them. and i put dye in the tank to see if it leaks down. the dye never left the tank. i kept it there over night. the water just turns of and gose right down the over flow. Now please let me no if im wrong if i install a prv that means i need to also install a T.X. tank correct?

yes, if you install a prv you should also install a Expansion tank. you did the test correctlly and he was right that if you do not have a prv then you would not need an expansion tank, though you WOuld have pressure fluctuations as your system would not be a "closed" system this is one job of a prv.

make sure to install a expansion tank that is rated for potablle water ;)

No PRV or backflow on the meter.
Pressure builds up over night and during the day when water is not used.
Thermal expansion test shows no T.E.
When you turn on the laundry tub faucet in the morning or after returning home from work, the basement toilet fill valve goes on for about 10 seconds.
When you flush the toilet on the first floor, first thing in the morning, the lav faucet would relieve a little water.
With nothing on the meter spread, I cannot see why any increases of water pressure from the main would not also decrease accordingly. The increased pressure is remaining in the house's pipes and returning to normal when a faucet is used.
60 psi isn't tragically high. With the PRV the pressure could be adjusted to 55, 50 and so forth, but there will be a difference noticed at the fixtures. The thermal expansion tank shouldn't be too difficult to install.
Anybody else have a theory?

Okay, Dave. Maybe we could schedule a little time to put in a TET and PRV. Don't know when yet because of weekend work, but I know where to find ya.
See, this forum is a very useful tool for help in figuring out problems. The experiences and knowledge of the members is priceless.

yes i do agree and thank yinz for the help and input i hope it works

Sorry to go off point here but I love that you used that term "yinz". I was born & raised in Philadelphia & ALWAYS get a kick out of hearing youse guys on the other side of the state say that word. Thanks for the smile man, it's been awhile.

Latest posts

Back