aquatherm heat pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yny

Reaction score
This is my first post about a issue I am having with my condo.

In my condo I have a aquatherm system that I can't stand because it eats up all of my hot water in the winter, and because I don't think it's a good efficient system.

I have included some pictures of what I have which should explain my problem. I have a single 50 gallon water heater on the main level for the entire 2 bedroom 1,400 sqft 2 level condo. The water heater is AO Smith 50 gallon 40,000 btu/hr with 40.9 US gal/hr recovery rate , and from what I know it is not big enough to supply my hot water needs.

I don't know why the builder did this to us.

What I want to know is can I go with a tank less water heart to improve my how water availability enough so two or three people can take a hot shower during the the winter, or is my only option is add a second independent water heater.

I have been looking for sometime to find a higher BTU 50 gallon unit but I can't find anything higher than what I have, is there anything higher that you guys know of.

Can a tank less handle the demand of this system?

As you can see I am limited in the space I have, so going to a 80 gallon in that spot is not an option.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

hv 004.jpg

hv 007.jpg

hv 009.jpg

I can't understand why a 50 gallon WH cannot supply the needs of a two bedroom condo. Before changing to a tankless water heater, my 40 gallon WH was able to get all the hot water I needed for a 4 bed/2 bath 2400 sq. ft home. Have you drained it recently and checked for sediment? Is your thermostat set too low? Is you gas adjusted properly and have a good solid blue flame? If you are unhappy with the WH performance, I would seriously consider upgrading to a good quality/high volume tankless version.

Remember I have a aquatherm heat pumps, it eats the how water.

This is only a problem in the winter months, the reast of the year we have all the hot water we could want.

I have not drained the tank recently, but I did a pressure check and it was good. I released about 20 oz of water to see if it was clear or what, and it was fine.

Is your thermostat set too low? no, on the hot water heater it's up all the way.

I am not sure if the gas adjusted properly, nor do I know how to check, but I do have a good solid blue flame when she runs, which seems to be all the time.

You may consider installing a priority switch. This will sense domestic water draw and disable heating (de-energize circulator pump to heating coil) while hot water draw is occurring.

I can't understand why a 50 gallon WH cannot supply the needs of a two bedroom condo. Before changing to a tankless water heater, my 40 gallon WH was able to get all the hot water I needed for a 4 bed/2 bath 2400 sq. ft home. Have you drained it recently and checked for sediment? Is your thermostat set too low? Is you gas adjusted properly and have a good solid blue flame? If you are unhappy with the WH performance, I would seriously consider upgrading to a good quality/high volume tankless version.
havasu, What they are doing is using the water heater to heat the home along with making domestic hot water. I have seen this system used in areas of warm climate. (like Florida) I'm sure they have ample domestic hot water in the summer but find it inadequate during the colder months. What needs to be done to solve there problem seeing they don't have the space for a larger heater is to change the source of heat in the furnace to either gas or electric.

John

After I read some replies, that was what I figured. Thanks for the explanation! Now you know why my name is in blue instead of red!

Back