sulfur smell

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have noticed a trend in posts from people with concerns about a stink from the sink. If it is isolated to only one sink and the sink has an overflow hole, it may be related to mildew, scum and build up in the overflow or even in the tail piece.
If you have a pop-up drain and can remove it you can look down the drain to see if there is a lot of soap scum, hair...well, just about anything that can stay moist and begin to stink. If it is clear or after you clear it, rinse water down the drain and flush water through the overflow with a detergent to clean and clear mildew/bacteria/scum from the drain.
Instead of filling the sink until it overflows to get water down it, I have used a funnel and poured a mixture of about 1 part bleach to 15 parts water down the overflow.
First things first, though. Is it only one sink or isolated to a certain area of the house?

replace or clean the element inside filter. It may be associated with a fungal growth there. Clean the stopper area by scraping it and remove the green coating (copper oxide, or verdigris, which incidentally is poisonous). If badly corroded it should be replaced. Metals don't give off odors in this situation and it would help if you could identify the cause.

Plumber Baltimore

Could be as noted above y these fine gents... If problem persists I would recomend a water analysis, There is a place near where I live that the H2s is so strongly present in the water that it is under a permanent boil water advisory. I have heard storys that one can actually light the tap on fire as there is soo much gas escaping .

DONT try to light your tap ... ( it had to be said. )

Latest posts

Back