Leak under sink need help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was attempting to changed kitchen faucet. The bolts on the water lines were so tight that I believe I may have damaged the water valve (were the water shuts off under sink) I have the water valve off but I still have a leak. Any one have any idea how I screwed up and how I could fix it. Will probably call a plumber.

Without a picture, anything would just be a guess.

1) How about tightening the packing nut, which is located behind the handle to the valve?

2) With the aid of a bucket, have you tried opening and closing the valve numerous times to see it you can stop the water?

Turn water off to house and install new quarter turn valve. They leak because they are never used and calcium builds up. Once seal is broken they leak.

Without a picture, anything would just be a guess.

1) How about tightening the packing nut, which is located behind the handle to the valve?

2) With the aid of a bucket, have you tried opening and closing the valve numerous times to see it you can stop the water?

I tried that. The sad thing is I could not even remove the old faucet. Everything is wound up very tight, I could not even remove the bolt with a basin wrench. The bolt is huge and basin wrench hardly fits over. I tried w40 and still can't get it.

Very frustrating

Plumbing repairs can definitely be very frustrating.

It is rather common for the supply valves under a sink not to hold and leak slightly. The best fix for that is usually to replace them.

A corroded faucet can be a real pain to remove. Sometimes a Dremel tool is the easiest way to get a nut off.

Reactions: SHR
Plumbing repairs can definitely be very frustrating.

It is rather common for the supply valves under a sink not to hold and leak slightly. The best fix for that is usually to replace them.

A corroded faucet can be a real pain to remove. Sometimes a Dremel tool is the easiest way to get a nut off.

A plumber came out today and took care of the job. He changed 2 water valves, 2 faucet connectors and installed a faucet for me that I purchased. The job took him 1.5 hours and he charged me $200.

My dad said he ripped me off and it should have been(120-140 tops). I thought the price was fair being he came out the same day I called him.

Most rates are around 150 an hour depending on where you live. I remember a few times explaining to customers that you take your car TO a mechanic. When you are sick you go TO the doctors office. I am sure if you brought your plumbing to them it would be less. Service companies have fuel and insurance charges for vehicles that factor in with all other expenses. They also have to stock parts on the vans.

A plumber came out today and took care of the job. He changed 2 water valves, 2 faucet connectors and installed a faucet for me that I purchased. The job took him 1.5 hours and he charged me $200.

My dad said he ripped me off and it should have been(120-140 tops). I thought the price was fair being he came out the same day I called him.

Price was very fair considering the amount of skilled work done. Thank you for understanding the fairness of the price. When someone expresses their opinon that the charge "should have been..." I tell them, "great, go ahead and do it." They never take me up on it.

I myself am pretty frugal, and will do pretty much anything to save a buck. Looking at the amount of work the professional did for you, I also don't feel he charged you that much.

Reactions: SHR
If I bought the materials he used at Home Depot it would be 35-40 dollars, He provided those.

I was under that sink for about 2 hours and tried to do it myself, and it wasn't as easy as appeared on youtube and in books I have read.

My dad said you don't need a plumber for that job just get a good handyman and he would only charge 75 dollars to install it.

I rather have the plumber do it and make sure the job was done 100 percent right. I was right next to him the whole time and was very happy with his work.

I have a lot of respect for plumbers, I am an xray technologist and many times have to move patients who are dead weight to different positions, but the physical aspect is nothing compared to a plumber.

That being said plumbing is pretty interesting to me, I find it the most interesting of all the trades.

My feeling is when a true professional allows you to be next to him, he is not only fixing your problem but is also teaching you for next time. My hats go off to him!

Latest posts

Back