Hammering sound after turning water to toilet back on

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moni

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for your time and response. Today I noticed that the toilet would not fill. I knew a lot of water was being wasted so I used the valve beside the toilet to shut off the water to the toilet. I saw that the seal ring was worn. I purchased a new one and attached it to the canister.

I turned the water back on and the toilet filled and flushed properly. However, after a few flushes I heard a hammering/motor sound. So I turned the water to the toilet back off which stopped the noise. Then I turned the water back on just a little. The toilet fills normally but slowly since I only turned the water on a little. I have flushed the toilet several times and the toilet seems to be working well. I have not heard the noise again and I have not turned the water all the way back on.

Will leaving the water only turned on a little cause problems in the future?

Did I mess something up by turning the water off?

The stop valve should be open all the way. The washer in the stop valve is loose and that is what is vibrating . Usually

Thank you Mr_David. Vibrating is indeed a better description of the sound. The sound is more like a vibrating or motor turning on rather than a hammer. I realize that the valve should be pen all the way but will leaving it on just a little instead of opening the valve all the way cause any damage? Would it be better to keep the water to the toilet turned off until the washer in the stop valve is replaced?

Thank you Mr_David. Vibrating is indeed a better description of the sound. The sound is more like a vibrating or motor turning on rather than a hammer. I realize that the valve should be pen all the way but will leaving it on just a little instead of opening the valve all the way cause any damage? Would it be better to keep the water to the toilet turned off until the washer in the stop valve is replaced?

I don't think it will cause any damage if you don't open it all the way. Usually you get the vibration from a loose washer when they are partially closed.

I realize that the valve should be pen all the way but will leaving it on just a little instead of opening the valve all the way cause any damage? Would it be better to keep the water to the toilet turned off until the washer in the stop valve is replaced?

The trouble (as I see it) is if the supply valve remains partially closed, it will give slow tank refill and may lead to embarrassing situations if frequent courtesy flushes are warranted... :eek:

Also, constant opening/closing of the supply valve may lead to a leak there causing more heartbreak...

Thanks everyone. I feel silly. A handyman looked at it today. I just needed to turn the water all the way back on and the sound stopped. When I first turn on the water back on I got nervous when I heard the sound so instead of continuing to turn it all the way back on I turned it in the opposite direction until the sound stopped. When turning the valve to the open position the noise started and then quickly stopped once it was all the way back on. Fortunately the handy man was coming anyway to do other repairs. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back