Plumbing dispute - Advice needed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lithnes14

Reaction score
Hello all,

My water main line running from the meter to my home leaked under my yard. I had called 4 plumbers to give me estimates. I hired the second plumber as they have good reviews on kudzu. They quoted $2200 and offered to do the job for $1900. They mentioned that they will trench under my yard and replace the pipe. They did a good job, but they were able to finish it by just digging two holes, one near my meter and one near the wall where the pipe enter my home. He was able to pass the 3/4" Black PE tubing through my existing 1" PVC which was leaking. The whole job was completed in 2.5 hrs and approx $1000 / hr is extremely crazy.

The final two plumbers returned my calls and quoted $600 and $900 respectively for the same job using the same materials.

I feel that I have been cheated and have paid almost 2 to 3 times other reputable plumbers have quoted. I have to repeat that I'm not complaining about the quality of the job, but have been taken for a ride for trusting the plumber.

I would like to negotiate a fair price with the plumber who did the job. I paid with a check (12/14/2014) if that makes any difference.

I'm looking for advice on what my options are.

Thanks!

Newbie Homeowner

Was it in the quote to replace copper with copper or to just fix a leak? If I contracted someone to "replace" a line, I would expect them to replace meaning remove and replace. If you agreed to have him put a liner in for two grand then you are liable to pay the two grand.

Personally I see that as a temporary repair. I know when we sleeve soft pipe with hard pipe the rubbing where the hard pipe ends cuts into the soft pipe.

I think in your situation it all comes down to what is written on your contract and what you agreed on regardless of cost. If I quoted you five grand to swap a toilet and you agreed you can not come back later and ask for a discount.

I'm wondering what loss of volume you will now get by this replacement? Why wasn't this pipe dug out and completely replaced? What was the difference versus the smaller tubing insert?

Difference is easier job. We don't do anything like that at my company.

Volume loss all depends on line length but there will be some but likely not noticeable unless pressure is also low.

I would fear if it was cheap copper the first time and has that nasty seam inside with burrs that will rub a hole through the new pipe. I've only seen that type of copper at a box store but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

The plumbing in our home is 3/4" copper. There was 3/4" to 1" adapter at the meter and one more 1" to 3/4" adapter in my home. For whatever reason, the buried pipe was 1" and rest of the plumbing inside the home was 3/4". So I suspect there would no volume loss?

The original 1" pipe was PVC. The new 3/4" Black PE pipe was just run through the existing 1" PVC.

My house was also plumbed with 1" copper from the meter to the house, even though all the plumbing inside the house is 3/4 copper. The reasoning for the larger pipe from the meter is to accommodate irrigation prior to entering the house.

Most if not all residential water services from the main to meter are 3/4" in California. Then they go to 1" and I believe like Havasu said it is to help the irrigation out.

I think you received a fair price, even cheap by the standards where I am. Remember, you are not paying a guy standing outside a box store with no tools, you are paying for all of the speciality tools and labor used to do the pipe bursting you had done. There is no way the new PE line was just pushed through the old broken PVC line, it is not possible. The new line was burst through. These tools are very expensive. If you chose a higher bid and received what was quoted, that was your choice. If you expected to have your whole yard dug up to replace the pipe, you are fortunate. IMO the pipe bursting method is far superior for water line replacement and I will not replace main underground water lines any other way. If your yard was trenched you would still be working on fixing your lawn.

You received great value for your expenditure. So stop worrying about it and be happy you had a good job done for a better than reasonable cost. If you feel you could do the job just as good for cheaper, you should have done it yourself. Good luck to you, the tools to do the job rent for more than you paid to have it done.

I think you received a fair price, even cheap by the standards where I am. Remember, you are not paying a guy standing outside a box store with no tools, you are paying for all of the speciality tools and labor used to do the pipe bursting you had done. There is no way the new PE line was just pushed through the old broken PVC line, it is not possible. The new line was burst through. These tools are very expensive. If you chose a higher bid and received what was quoted, that was your choice. If you expected to have your whole yard dug up to replace the pipe, you are fortunate. IMO the pipe bursting method is far superior for water line replacement and I will not replace main underground water lines any other way. If your yard was trenched you would still be working on fixing your lawn.

You received great value for your expenditure. So stop whining about it and be happy you had a good job done for a better than reasonable cost. If you feel you could do the job just as good for cheaper, you should have done it yourself. Good luck to you, the tools to do the job rent for more than you paid to have it done.

fixed it for ya!

a.gif

I believe what this guys said^ tools cost money. Labor isn't cheap. The cost of journeyman is gone up. They have schooling they go for. (4years) if you wanted it done cheap should have done it yourself. Also the 900.00 guys might run into problems and turn into more. You get what you pay for.

Reactions: SHR
its all about knowledge. I know how to get a water line from your meter, under your driveway under your sidewalk with out busting concrete
to your house.
you dont, the material will cost a couple hun, what is my knowledge worth to you?

oh, btw. that kid you have, you send to a private school, the new car your wife drives,
the mortage you have. and the BS insurance that just went up because of that *&^&^&***&&*
I have the same thing. what do you make a year? how about a day? guess what? me to

and I have a couple of expensive hobbies, that keep me sane.

A new water service from main to meter is less than a grand but I can guarantee it will cost ten times that much to get it to your sidewalk. Not only is it knowledge it is liability now and for the next several years. If I rip out a fiber optic line there goes 10-25 grand. If I didn't make a profit why would I risk that?

Latest posts

Back