Is Indian toilet seat better than western?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles

Reaction score
Hi fellows,

I am suffering from some stomach and digestion related issues since last year. My doctor has given me one weird advice. He has asked me to replace my toilet seat with Indian toilet seat. He suggests that while using this seat, I will sit in a crouching position with knees bent. This will help my system to get rid of unwanted stuff. Can this really work?

Indian-Toilet-Seats.jpg

Whatever that is it looks like you're gonna poop in a floor drain lol

I don't see how it's supposed to work but I have heard stories of people resting their feet on something and getting in the crouched position to make things easier

Squat toilets are pretty common in Japan and China.

Google "squat toilets" and you will find a lot of examples. What you won't find is an easy way of turning your toilet into to one.

screen-shot-2013-11-03-at-1-12-09-am.jpg

Whoa whoa whoa.....so you actually just squat over them, and just drop a log like you were going in the woods? How do they flush?

And what the hell? Why are there no dividers between those "toilets"? Just because you arent sitting down doesnt make it like a urinal! I still want my damn privacy...that set up screams for privacy!

It would be like going in the woods but you have to clean up after yourself. I'll stick with the woods thank you very much.

How about the Handi-crapper at the end. Guy in the wheel chair has to get past he squat holes to use that.
I don't see any tissue rolls.

When I was in the South Pacific, The local rule was you eat with your right hand only, cuz you wipe with the left.

We were designed to squat and drop. No reading the paper in there.

I was walking Downtown (San Diego Gas Lamp) and a homeless guy squatted and dropped a deuce right in the middle of the side walk. :eek:

images33YSUR95.jpg

untitled.jpg

imagesY855GIJS.jpg

Last edited:
According to me it is better solution only for Small kids and Young people, it will really helpful for digestion and for clear out stomach issues but not for old people.

I remember those toilets in Singapore. There were people who would line up to use those kind instead of the type you sit on. They thought the idea of putting their butts on a seat that someone else sat on was disgusting. Sometimes we would find footprints on the seats of western toilets.

Now, there is a middle ground though. I think someone here mentioned it before. There is something called a "squatty potty stool". Basically its a little stool that fits in front of your toilet and sort of around the sides a bit and you put your feet up on it to be in more of a squatting position.

There are different kinds at amazon squatty potty search

There are varying heights and styles.

This kind of toilet might be good for younger people but I doubt older people will appreciate this. This has been my first time knowing what an Indian toilet is. Though I think your doctor's right.

Back