Need a permit to install backflow preventer?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbarr

Reaction score
I live in Seminole County Florida. My question is do I need to pull a permit if I install a backflow preventer on my main water line to the house?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Yes. And it needs to be tested and certified by a licensed backflow tester, and the certification sent to the water service provider.

If you can't find someone to do the testing, I might be able to connect you with someone.

Edit: John beats me to the punch once again!

Thanks for the help?

Just one more nagging question:

Can I install the backflow preventer myself?

You shouldn't install it. Once again, it has to be certified by a backflow tech.
What kind of backflow do you want to install? Do you replacing an old or failed backflow?

If you have the skill to install it, I see no reason why you can't.
The inspection is separate from installation.
Why do you want to install a backflow?
Is it being required by your water service provider?
Permit required?
The money grubbing bureaucracy wants permit fees for any modification to your plumbing. They just want to make sure you aren't installing it in violation of their rules.

I'm going to install the backflow preventer today. While replacing water meters with the wireless system Seminole county said they noticed there was a well pump (irrigation) on the property and sent a letter requiring a BFPA on the potable water line even though the irrigation system was totally separate from the potable water lines. Will be giving them a call on this before anything starts!

I'm going to install the backflow preventer today. While replacing water meters with the wireless system Seminole county said they noticed there was a well pump (irrigation) on the property and sent a letter requiring a BFPA on the potable water line even though the irrigation system was totally separate from the potable water lines. Will be giving them a call on this before anything starts!

Yeah, That makes since.

Your water provider has no control of the water supply
After their water passes through the meter, so they want to insure that IF there is ay cross connections that their system is protected from any cross contamination.

Yes, needs a permit and guaranteed by a licensed backflow tester.

Yes, needs a permit and guaranteed by a licensed backflow tester.

Was wondering why you posted on a 6 month old topic that seems to have been resolved.
I looked and most of the other comments by you.
This Parrot has wings. A bit slow but gets around.

Flying Parrot.png

Last edited:
A backflow device is required by the water compan.....oh, nevermind. Just noticed this was already addressed. My bad.:eek:

I'm in Ca so I'd listen to John. Anytime you need to know if you need a permit or not always call the building department and ask. Each state gives each city, town, village or borough the freedom to adopt their own codes (municipal codes) as long as they're not more lenient than the state which is "minimum standards".
As an inspector I get yelled at all the time by contractors "well LA lets me do it". My response is always "well you're standing San Diego".
2 second call answers all your questions.

hello...I live in mass....we are not require to have bfp at the main...you would need one for your irrigation IF it was connected to your main you would need one on a residential fire protection system IF it was connected to you main.....your system was engineered...that may be the reason...I was involved with a reno in an OFFICE BLD
there was no need for a bfp on the water main there was one on the fire protection but he would not sign off on the plans unless this was done our project managers should have fought this now we have to test them for the life of the bld 2 time a year at 100 bucks + and it was dual containment!!!!!!!!!(2 bfps!!!!!!!!

Nothing to add but I have to say that it's good to know that if I am ever in a situation with city water plus an irrigation pump, I should go to some extra effort to hide the pump so it is not easily found.
Of course I would never connect two systems.

Using that logic, every house should have a backflow preventer. A future owner may decide to drill a well, build a cistern, or any number of things that could cause backwards flow.
The reality is that most people have limited budgets so adding expensive plumbing just because it's a good idea is not going to be on my to-do list if I can help it.

hello...I live in mass....we are not require to have bfp at the main...you would need one for your irrigation IF it was connected to your main you would need one on a residential fire protection system IF it was connected to you main.....your system was engineered...that may be the reason...I was involved with a reno in an OFFICE BLD
there was no need for a bfp on the water main there was one on the fire protection but he would not sign off on the plans unless this was done our project managers should have fought this now we have to test them for the life of the bld 2 time a year at 100 bucks + and it was dual containment!!!!!!!!!(2 bfps!!!!!!!!
An irrigation system off the city water is not the same as a well pump feeding an irrigation system. A well pump or separate source of water on site requires a High Hazard type backflow preventer.
There are applications requiring either total containment or in premise containment, depending on type of hazard(s). In the case of well pumps total containment is a requirement for most if not all locations.

Using that logic, every house should have a backflow preventer. A future owner may decide to drill a well, build a cistern, or any number of things that could cause backwards flow.
The reality is that most people have limited budgets so adding expensive plumbing just because it's a good idea is not going to be on my to-do list if I can help it.
There's a difference between having a well and having the ability to drill one in the future. The line must be drawn somewhere and the general public would not want to have to pay to have a testable backflow preventer installed and test annually(+/-) based on potential.

Nothing to add but I have to say that it's good to know that if I am ever in a situation with city water plus an irrigation pump, I should go to some extra effort to hide the pump so it is not easily found.
Of course I would never connect two systems.
All irrigation systems require some type of backflow protection device. typically they are the non-testable type and not a big deal. It's not until you have a separate piped water source on site that would kick in the requirement for total containment with a testable backflow preventer. If for some reason you used an irrigation pump on the puplic water supply that would not kick in the total containment requirement. A slightly different backflow device would typically be required due to the potential of back pressure on the public water supply.

Latest posts

Back