Toilets (3) all continuous refill...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay101

Reaction score
I have 3 toilets in my home that all seem to be doing the same thing, the guy we bought the house from said he used to put chlorine tablets in his toilet bowls and it was just the flapper that caused the issue, I've replaced the flappers and they all still do the same thing... I've attached photos of what I've been able to do so far... It fills up to the fill line and drops about 1/5th of a tank every 15 minutes and refills so I'm using a LOT of water every day, what else could be causing this issue? There's no water around the toilet anywhere, however I'm wondering what stops the water from leaving the toilet, could that device be wore out from the chlorine and slowly be leaking water passed to empty the tank?

20160110_194255.jpg

20160110_194302.jpg

Check the underside of the flapper to see if you have crud on the seal. I also don't see any slack in the chain, which would allow the seal to leak if it is too tight.

It looks as though the end of the refill tube is inserted too far into the overflow. If the end of that tube is lower than the water level in the tank, it will often times siphon over, and cause just your problem. A new Fluidmaster comes with a clip to hold the end of the tube above the overflow.

havasu,

I will check the flappers today, the flappers are new so do you mean on the porcelain part?

phishfood,

The hose is definitely very long in all of the on the tanks, I assume you're talking about the rubber ones in the tube? A new fluid master, you mean a new hose or a whole new piece? I don't see any water coming out or going in to the tube but the water level is dropping in the tanks, could you explain what you mean in terms of siphon?

Yes, check that the seat under the flapper is clean of debris. Make sure there is a bit of slack in the chain leading to the flapper, and find the little metal clip that the black hose connects to, so the hose sits on the overflow tube, and not "IN" the overflow tube. This will create a siphon effect and drain your water.

[IPlace the Refill Clip on the side of
overflow pipe furthest away from fill
valve and slide it down with metal tab
on the outside and plastic clip on
inside of overflow pipe.
Attach one end of refill hose to nipple
on fill valve. Attach other end of hose
to refill clip. You may need to trim the
hose so it has a slight arch.][/I]

Refer to step #5 on the attached pdf file.

http://www.fluidmaster.com/product_docs/400a_installation_instructions_english.pdf

It looks as though the end of the refill tube is inserted too far into the overflow. If the end of that tube is lower than the water level in the tank, it will often times siphon over, and cause just your problem. A new Fluidmaster comes with a clip to hold the end of the tube above the overflow.

Take fishfood's advice that is your problem.

Perfect, if I don't have a clip... Can I just cut the hose and barely put it in?

I would not recommend this. If the hose pops out and shoots water onto your lid, you will have a flood in your house. Your best bet is to pick up (3) new Fluidmaster 400 kits and either just use the provided clips, or just replace all the parts for years of trouble free use.

Well, it worked out perfect.... If I had only known that forever ago.... ZZZZZ, been trying to solve this for months LOL Thank you guys so much!

Back