Is this a drum trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackowax

Reaction score
It was removed from a third floor bathroom in an old house (built in 1930). Can it simply be replaced with a modern trap system or does something special need to be done when replacing it?

I ask because someone told me it was a a gravity something or other, used to provide drainage where you could not provide sufficient downward slope for water to drain, in which case he thought special measures needed to be taken to insure adequate drainage.

23582393504_bebb447f49.jpg

23915016360_e320887a13.jpg

Yes that is a drum trap. You can go back with a standard p-trap in some instances you might have to make a running p-trap

Running and drum traps don't meet code.

That is correct they don't meet code. But have ran into instance to either install a running trap or try and convince a customer to replumb a pretty big section of pipe to be able to install a p-trap. Many times the outgoing line on a drum trap is too high to install a trap.

in some instances you might have to make a running p-trap

NO, NO, NO. DON'T EVER DO THAT NO MATTER WHAT. There is always another way. Much of plumbing is solving puzzles, this is a good example. Without being there to see the entire setting, I can not solve the puzzle. But, I will re-iterate: there is always a way.

WOW. Ok I don't know where y'all do plumbing at but in New Orleans a lot of 2nd floor bathrooms the drains are ran in the mud bed of the tile instead of the floor joist there usually is no subfloor cause the mud bed goes directly ontop the joist. So you are going to tell a customer they have to tear up the floor so you can lower the drain to be able to install a p-trap. Not gonna happen. Also been under slabs to where a drum trap offsets around a footing and to install a trap you would have to destroy a footing. Not happening. Don't do then a lot but have had to use running traps.

Last edited:
Yes we do have inspectors. Not every job that gets done gets inspected. Now for instance the job under the slab with the footing the inspector allowed a running trap so we wouldn't have to destroy the footing. Also there are bigger issues for them to enforce besides running traps especially with all these diy sites that make everyone think they are a plumber.

BULL****, I live in mississipi, within 100 miles from down town new Orleans.
I have worked in meaterie, NO, Vidalia, Hammond, amite, arcola, and ticfaw

running traps are not legal.

when you run into a structural problem you figure it out like SHR has stated.
sometimes, you actually have to tell the client. yes I can do it. but it will cost you.
then they can make up their mind to pay or walk.

I never once said they were legal. not to many customer are going to tell you go ahead and tear up my bathroom so they can spend $5,000-$10,000 to put it back together. They will show you the door and get a jack leg to do the work anyway. I very rarely put in a running trap. I run into that situation I explain it to the customer and go from there. And like I said there was that one instance an inspector let it slide in a tunnel cause you can't sit there and tell me if it's blowing out your footing under your house or install a running trap that you will mess with the integrity of you foundation.

Last edited:
All I know is that when you're big enough , you can afford to refuse to do Mikey mouse jobs , just to stay in business. I would rather pass on a job like that to someone else who needs it more then I do. And be careful with all the lawsuits . Just beacuse you're work outlast you're warranty doesn't mean squat . That customer you were doing a favor for is now suing you.and getting the job done right by someone else with you're money.

Back