Soldering Pipes Now Water Tastes Funny

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayla

Reaction score
We are renovating our downstairs bathroom. The kitchen is also on this floor. Over the weekend we removed the stop valves on the pipes coming up through the floor for the sink and the toilet. My husband soldered caps on to the pipes. We installed new flooring. He then put a new stop valve on the toilet but the pipes for the sink are still just capped. This coming weekend we plan to continue working which will involve installing the new vanity and sink, including new stop valves and more soldering.

So yesterday I noticed that the water coming out of the kitchen sink is very bubbly and tastes funny, kind of like plastic. I am assuming this has to do with the soldering of the pipes. Is this something that will just go away over time as the water flushes out of the pipes or is this something more concerning? Is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening again when we solder?

Oh, I tasted the water coming out of the bathroom sink upstairs and it tastes fine.

Thank you for your help.

Yes, the taste will flush out. It is usually from the flux needed to bond the solder to the pipes.

Yes, agree with "havasu", most likely the taste of the flux used when soldering. Should flush out fine.

Latest posts

Back