Help Removing Steam Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveh3134

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to remove the pipe in the attached image? By pipe I mean the one sticking up vertically out of the floor.

When I was taking the valve off I crushed it and now the end of the pipe is out of round so there's no way I'm going to be able to get a new one on. So I feel like my only option is to replace it.

I tried getting a pipe wrench on there but it's up kind of high and hard to get any leverage. I thought about cracking the elbow but as you can see from the image, there isn't a lot of room down there because it's right up against a joist so I'm concerned that I won't be able to get a new elbow on.

Thanks in advance.

/Steve

IMG_20130730_212858.jpg

Steve is there any play in the line can it be lifted? If it won't unscrew your other option is as you stated is to crack the ell. They do split fairly easily. You will need to get something under it to support it. Once it's supported a couple good whacks on the boss of the fitting should crack it. Once it's cracked it will spin off by hand.

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions. Still weighing my options before I move forward. If anyone thinks of anything else, let me know.

Hi all, what's the rule of thumb to follow when putting the new ell and nipple back on? I was thinking some pipe dope, hand tighten, and then 2 full turns with a wrench?

There is no rule of thumb. Depending on the manufacture some threads are cut deeper than others. It's done by feel more then anything else. Keep in mind that with steam your not dealing with that high of a pressure. Just use a high temperature pipe dope and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back