bath tub faucet cartridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamir

Reaction score
bathroom tub faucet central spout two side handles hot cold
hot ok cold flow and pressure low the house is ten years old

1. faucet has NO NO marking at all regarding mfr. model etc. i do not know, but maybe this in itself becomes its identification. have you come across this the spout is more longish than short
2. am trying to replace the cold side cartridge have removed the bell-shaped cover and a ring trying to open the only nut that i now see hex-head six point 5/8" but this is very very tight have tried vice wrench cheater normal closed wrench ( this last is a problem because it is 12 point) the last thing i am going to try is a ratchet socket wrench 16 mm six point
3. have put some liquid wrench for posible loosening

could you please comment on the above, including if there are any universal type cartridges available
thanks

There are cartridges available for most faucets. In your case, a picture would be worth a thousand words. Could you post up one to better help you?

Sounds more like a stem replacement than a cartridge. There are special "sockets" made for this. They look like sheet metal and there are usually 4 sizes on a wire clip. Check the Big Box stores or large hardwares.

And you probably dont need the whole stem. Just the washer on the end. The washers are readily available at any home improvement store.

i have a faucet with hot and cold handles there is absolutely nothing written on the faucet which coud identify name brand mark etc.
problem was that the hot water was coming with correct pressure but not the cold i have disassembled as much as i could of the top of the cold side handle i want to remove the cartridge here so that i coud either wash it or buy a new one i have tried all i could to remove this cartridge pliers
open and closed spanners lock-type wrench which usually can open anything becaise of its tight grip but i cannot do it i learnt that there is a special tool which makes cartridge-removal easy if you know of this could you roughly describe it or have you used something better
i went to home depot they had a device for moen i bought it hoping that it might be universal but it is not close to fitting my arrangement i don't think anyone will loan it so i will have to buy one
have you ever come across a faucet with absolutely no marking on it if you have and have worked on it that in itself might be a clue as to what that brand might be

thank you very much

787 shows everything
788 shows from behind you can see the item i am talking about
789 makes it more clear
790 shows additionally the three parts that i disassembled

there seems to be a bronze nut just below the stem-type thing that you see-- i have tried to loosen that but just cannot

any advise now?

thank you

SNV31787.jpg

SNV31788.jpg

SNV31789.jpg

SNV31790.jpg

cannot understand your reply could you please write it in simple english

thank you

thank you "complete faucet assembly" which one is this?

as i said unsrewing the cartridge or stem was the difficult part
which is the valve stem and which the cartridge?

what is the difference between stem and cartridge in the picture from top are we seeing the stem or the cartridge? is the cartridge in the stem? why do i have to buy a stem why can't i just buy the cartridge?

is there not a particular tool that i coud insert from top and unscrew the stem/cartridge and go buy a new stem/cartridge what is the need to disassemble the hot handle as i did the cold one?

again cannot understand the difference between cartridge and stem? most do it yourself articles say replace the cartridge and you wil have full pressure cold water again

thank you very much

I apologize...I saw the pictures and the faucet looked like a sink faucet, not a bath tub faucet. Because of this, please disregard my last post, which was for removal and replacement of a sink faucet.

If the speciality tools do not allow you to remove the stem, you will either have to find a way to remove it from the tub completely, or it may be necessary to drill out the hole big enough to accomodate the needed socket. Once again, that stem could be reverse threaded, so try turning both directions.

Many books refer to the "cartridge" when they are referring to the valve stem component, which includes many "O" rings, plastic diverters, washers, brass flat washers and built in stoppers.

Most of us on this forum will try to help out others, but often under or overestimate the abilities of the writer. By all means, if you feel this is something too advanced for you, you have other options. Even though I have been tinkering with plumbing for 40 years, when a valve begins to drip, I seriously have to ask myself if it is worth rebuilding, or is it just cheaper just to replace the entire unit?

If one valve stem has begun to leak, you can bet the opposite side will start leaking soon. Most valve stem replacements cost between $15 and $20 dollars. Sometimes it is not worth investing ~$40 or $50 just to make an outdated looking faucet stop dripping water. If you spent another $50, you could get a new, shiny, up to date faucet, which will last for many years to come, provided you have the ability to solder new plumbing to the faucet.

We will be here to help you with your needs....good luck! (also, sorry for my long winded answer....this might give me a bad reputation but I believe was necessary!)

Last edited:
i want to thank you for your efforts and time spent

best regards

aamir, after looking at those pictures, I THINK that your faucet is a Kohler. I installed 20 or so of them 4 years ago, and those look very similar. Is that a removable clip I see on top of the cartridge, at the bottom of the brass section that the handle attaches to? If I recall correctly, you remove that clip and pull the cartridge out by pulling upwards on the brass section. It has been a few years, so I am not 100% certain here.

mr phishfood either you are a genius or have the eyes of a hawk just below the the bottom of the brass section that the handle attaches to, there was a clip i pulled it out and now the brass section can rotate by 90 degrees
i tried to yank this out using a locking-pliers but it won't come out yet i have put some vinegear and also brushed the area with a toothbrush

so would this sequence be correct pull out that brass piece if necessary cut it out with a saw after that what what part shoud i take to the store to say that i need a new assembly of this? i will also see if kohler has some information on this

thanks much again but i will be in touch with you
Aamir

The below information was taken from the Kohler website. I understand that you are beyond most of this, but thought it may be good information for others. BTW.....good eyes Phish, you ARE a genious!

Kohler faucets are among the most reliable available, but because of the heavy use that any faucet gets it’s common for them to need repair from time to time. The relentless sound of a leaky faucet is its own special form of water torture, and it wastes water too. A leaking or dripping faucet happens when a part becomes worn and needs to be replaced. Fortunately, faucet repair is one of the easiest home repairs that you can do yourself, and here are a few tips on how to do it.

Common Tools Needed For Faucet Repair

- Screwdrivers (both flat-blade and Phillips)

- Crescent wrench

- Deep socket set

- Allen wrench

- Needlenose pliers

- Channel joint (adjustable) pliers

Determine the Type of Kohler Faucet You Have

There are two general types of Kohler faucets: 'compression' and 'washerless'. Compression faucets use a washer of some kind to seal off water, and a washerless faucet uses a specially designed cartridge or ball. Compression faucets are always two-handled (but not all two-handled faucets are compression), and washerless faucets are usually a single-lever type (but not always). Compression faucets are the old-style design, but are still common. If you’re not certain which type of Kohler faucet you have, you’ll be able to see for yourself when you begin removing the handles.

Turn Off the Water Before Beginning a Faucet Repair

Always turn off the waterstops (those two little handles under the sink) before beginning any faucet repairs. If there's still a trickle of water coming from the faucet after you turn off the waterstops, it means that they're not sealing properly. In this case, shut off the water where it comes into your house. If you've never done this, it's something you can easily do yourself - the hardest part may be simply finding the water shut-off valve. It usually looks just like an outdoor water faucet handle, and is normally located in a basement, a garage, or some other out-of-the-way but easy to get to location.

Repairing Your Kohler Compression Faucet

If water is leaking from the spout, your faucet probably needs a new washer or valve seat. After making sure that the water is turned off, remove both handles along with the washers, O-rings, and valve stems. At this point you’ll need to make a trip to the hardware store, making sure to bring your parts along with you for comparison to buy replacements. Before putting your sink handles back together with the new parts, take time to do two common preventive maintenance tasks to your Kohler faucet:

1. Use a commercial lime remover to clean any built-up deposits from the base of the faucet handles

2. Apply a dab of plumber’s grease to the threads of the valve stems, to help fit the O-rings and washers into place properly

If water has been leaking from the handles of your Kohler faucet, and not the spout, replacing the O-rings and washers will fix this problem, too.

Repairing Your Kohler Washerless Faucet

The most common design of Kohler washerless faucets is a single handle ‘cartridge faucet’. Leaks can occur because of a faulty or worn-out O-ring or cartridges inside the handle assembly. To get to them, use a small screwdriver to pop off the decorative cap on the faucet, and unscrew the single screw underneath to remove the handle assembly. Pull the cartridge up and out; mineral deposits can sometimes cement the cartridge into place, but needlenose pliers and determination are usually all you need to get it out. Take it with you to the hardware store, along with the O-ring, and buy exact replacement parts.

Reassemble your Kohler cartridge faucet by retracing your steps, and be sure to position the new cartridge with the red ‘ear’ facing forward. If hot and cold are reversed after you’ve replaced the cartridge, you’ll need to take the handle assembly apart again and turn the cartridge around 180 degrees.

After you’re finished with your faucet repair, turn your water back on. As long as you’ve tightened up all the parts correctly as you put your faucet parts back together, you should now hear the sound of a properly functioning faucet - silence!

I hope that you have a good outcome, and many years of good service from your faucet. Please post back once you find some resolution.

Deck mount faucets are very often darn near impossible to replace without tearing apart walls, so a faucet that is easy to work on with readily available parts is extremely important.

Edit: I would definitely try to avoid sawing this valve apart. There is a "correct" way to disassemble this valve, and to assure that you don't end up having to replace the whole thing, it is better to take the time to figure it out.

Last edited:
I noticed that you removed the "supporting" nuts allowing the brass to drop down. It would likely be much easier to do this repair with that nut back in place. Holding the whole assembly in place while you pull out the cartridge will help greatly.

Latest posts

Back