Odd drain size in old tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replace it. Not gonna find what you're looking for. Been down that rabbit hole, it's not fun.

If you don't want to go into the crawl space just replace the shoe going into the tee right under the tub and the drain will screw into the new shoe. Let us know what you do.

I have access to the bottom of my tub. There is an access panel behind a cupboard on the backside of my tub. The only problem is the nut that screws the waste to the drain pipe is in a tight spot. One of the flats on the nut is super tight against a floor joist also. I would have to almost use a short wrench of some sort. Not to mention the plumbing probably hasn’t been touched in atleast 40 years. This is on the second floor so no access from the bottom unless I ripped the ceiling out. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Last edited:
LOL! I am glad you can relate! I am kind of stuck because replacing my drain isn’t a huge must but it would be nice. I don’t know if risking messing with the plumbing is worth the reward of a better looking/ working drain.

Latest posts

Back