Best replacement flapper...opinions?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFBonnett

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Replaced a leaking fill valve today at my daughter's house with a Fluidmaster. The flapper was also leaking. Replaced it with a cheapie I bought at HD and still didn't seal. Replaced that with a Korky universal which sealed. The 5 toilets in question, mine and my daughter's, are all American Standards, Plebes or Cadets. Since I usually get the "Daddy, the toilet won't stop" call at a bad time for shopping, I want to keep a couple of flappers on hand. Opinions as to the best replacement would be most appreciated. It has to be the kind where I can pop off the old one, clean up the contact area, pop on the new one, adjust the chain, drink a couple of my son-in-law's expensive beers, then call it a day.

I have been installing Korky products for many years. I don't even carry fluidmaster....I throw them away. They are my preferred product for fill valves, but for a while I wasn't a fan of their flappers. They didn't have a chain, but more a weird rubber string with tabs you had to pull thru the hole in the handle. Pretty awkward, but it seems they have ditched that design and went to the standard chain, much better. I suggest those over anything.

However, if your American standard toilet has an actuator rather than a flapper, all you can do is replace it with the same actuator.

Daughter reports no more water pissing out of the fill valve onto the cover then leaking onto the floor and no more running every few minutes. I'm my daughter's hero daddy again. What's better than that, right?

Back