Toilet Flange and Pipe Help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maurzy01

Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchases a house and after a bathroom teardown I noticed the toilet flange was badly damaged. I removed the flange and I am left with the following nasty mess....

utunubun.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xd6147YlYo[/ame]

u9ydy4u8.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQFwpXyinTo[/ame]

I am not sure if the toilet pipe is lead or cast iron, but I have considered various alternatives....

The first being the placement of a plastic flange w/ gasket inside the toilet pipe and tightening it so the gasket forms a seal against the existing toilet pipe.

The second option would be cutting the pipe from below, adding a Fernco coupling and running ABS to the top. I have open access but I am not sure where I would make the cut as the pipe drops below the floor into a 90 degree elbow and runs horizontally to the stack. I am also worried how messy this may be. In addition, as I am not sure if I am dealing with lead or cast iron I see it being a challenge to cut through the pipe. I have a reciprocating saw at my disposal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

As I have said in previous threads that I have given my opinion, I am in no way shape or form a professional plumber, just a DIY'er with a good deal of experience from my own 'issues'... With that being said, personally if it were me, depending on access to all your black-water piping, I would attempt to replace that entire run to the main with ABS... if unable to do so, I would use a carbide tipped blade on my recip. saw, WEAR A RESPIRATOR, and cut the existing pipe somewhere along the lines of 12-18" from the elbow shown in the picture, and use ABS to a fernco connector as you stated. This way, you eliminate that old elbow and the potential for future drain issues in that spot.

Again, just my own opinion and if there's something specifically wrong with what I state, please anyone feel free to point it out as one of the best ways to learn is constructive criticism or whatever you want to call it.

That appears to be a lead riser wiped onto a brass caulking ferrrule into a cast iron 4" x 3" 1/4 bend. I would cut as much of the cast iron pipe out as you can get to, then transition to PVC or ABS with a proper transition band. Do not use an all rubber Fernco or a standard no hub band, as the outside diameter of the cast iron and the plastic pipe is slightly different. The transition band has a neoprene sleeve that accounts for this, and will hold the two pipes in proper alignment. Also, support the pipes on either side of the band, and the PVC every 4', plus directly under the 1/4 bend that turns up to the toilet.

Latest posts

Back