Toilet Flange/pipe help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazer

Reaction score
Hello, we removed our toilet in order to put down new flooring. While we were re-installing the toilet, my husband tightened the nut too tight and the flange broke. I went to the hardware store and purchased a new flange. Trying to get the old flange off, we also damaged the top of the sewer pipe (It's PVC.) It has a chunk out of it about an inch deep. The bathroom is on a 2nd floor.

My question is...is there a way we can sand/grind the pvc pipe down (so the top of the pipe is even again) and then install a new flange without having to get into the floor from the 1st or 2nd level? Do they make a special flange that will work? There is a bend not too far down, so I can't go with something that has a real long inside sleeve. Or, if I do go with something with a longer sleeve, will it still work properly if we saw some of it off (so that it will fit just above the bend?)

I know hardly anything about sewer plumbing, so please be specific...and please talk in laymans terms. :) Also, Pictures of what kind of part(s) we could use, would be great. Thanks so much!

Wow, your husband really did a number there. Unfortunatley, there is no way to fix that other than opening the floor up and replacing up to after the 90.

If it was just the flange it would be fine, but that's the pipe and everything broken. Good luck

You might be able to get one of these twisting repair flanges in there, but make sure your husband uses an internal pipe cutter or dremal for the rest of that old flange.

image-1045509744.jpg

Back