Water tank smell

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
My mountain house is on a water tank no well. I have my neighbor fill it for me when it needs which is not very often off of his well. I add chlorine every now and then to try and help keep it from growing things but it still smells. Is there anything like baking soda I can put in there to kill the smell?

drain it and powerwash the inside. Water will Slime up on things if it stays in a hot vessel for some time... the well experts on here will likely have an even better idea.... Bump Bump this thread.

:)

It is an underground tank in a very cool climate. I epoxy coated the tank before it was filled last in April. Waited the full cure time and it is epoxy made for this but I belive part of the smell is from the epoxy.

It is easier said then done to drain and fill this tank.

What does it smell like?

The next thing would be to smell your neighbors water out of his faucets to see if it's just his water that is the problem. If not; I'm not yet sure what to tell you to do.

Slight chlorine which I am ok with but it has taken on the smell off the tank. I would love to drain it and refill it but that would take a day of pumping and a hundred bucks to fill.

Did I read earlier that your tank is filled with the help of a neighbor? Was a conventional garden hose used for the transfer? I do know the white water transfer hoses are what I used in my RV and they leave no smell or taste residue. Just a thought....

Used rv hoses. The smell is mainly from the epoxy coat I put in before I filled it. Even tho I cured it properly it still smells. I probably need to use up the water in it then leave it dry for a few weeks.

Is there any harm in putting a box of baking soda in the water? Since I have about 1500 gallons left and don't want to waste it.

We don't drink the water or even cook with it but we do shower with it and brush our teeth.

Back