Sewer Smells from Washing machine Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rholly

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am new to this forum and new to plumbing. We just bought a house that was built in 92. We live outside of the city and it turns out there are no plumbing inspections for homes built. So as it turns out most of our plumbing is likely not to code. The major concern was that all of our vents are vented to the attic. There are 2 3" pipes with studor vents on them and another 2" with a studor AAV (this is the one in the pic). Both plumbers and the inspector seemed to think that they were working just fine. However, my washing machine is giving off sewer smells. The area that the washing machine is, is very far away from the rest of the plumbing in the house and I think that the washing machine has its own vent and is not tied into anything else.

Anyway, as you can see in the diagram (blue) the vent is on the wrong side of the p-trap. We have thought about coming up on the sewer side of the p-trap and then coming over and tying into the vent (Red), however there is little space due to conduit networking throughout. We should be able to make it fit if this is the route we want to take, but still deciding (hopefully you guys can help). The other idea that we had was to just install an AAV on the sewer side of the p-trap (green) and cut off the vent that goes into the attic. If we go this route, how high doe the p-trap need to be? Manufactures say a minimum of 4" above p-trap, but then I also see that they like them 18" above the drain?

Do you guys have any input on this? I know, I know, that we need to get those vents to the outside, but that is going to take some time and money, and are looking for a fix that will suffice for now.

Thanks for your help

Slide1.jpg

Instead of running the washing machine drain straight to the horizontal drain as pictured, cut the vertical waste above the floor. Install a p-trap at the bottom of the "stand pipe" 6" off the floor. Run the outlet of the p-trap (trap arm) and tie it into the vent to the right with a san tee. Hopefully the 90 at the bottom of that vent is a code 90 (Long turn 90), if it isn't you can take care of that when you get to it. Hopefully that all made sense. Oh and cap the old cloths washer waste coming out of the floor. Lastly, if your drawing is accurate the running trap in the crawl can be cut out and replaced with straight pipe.

let see if this helps:
drawing.jpg

Last edited:
Back