Washing Machine Rough-in

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJB

Reaction score
Should I be concerned about this rough-in in my new home?

IMG_20140926_185831066.jpg

I won't comment on what was built, but if you ever considered a nice sink basin for the laundry room, now is the time to make the change....if one will eventually be wanted.

Thanks, there's a basin plumbed to the left of the photo

Are there any issues with the number of unsupported pvc elbows in the supply lines

That is CPVC supply piping. IPC code requires the smaller sizes of CPVC piping to be supported every 3' horizontally or 10' vertically. That installation appears to meet those requirements.

Where in Florida is this being built?

I would prefer a laundry box with hammer arrestor valves and not so many fitting.
Yes, more support would not be a problem.

That is CPVC supply piping. IPC code requires the smaller sizes of CPVC piping to be supported every 3' horizontally or 10' vertically. That installation appears to meet those requirements.

Manatee County, Parrish area

where is the clean out. red tag!!!!!!!
upc requires a clean on ever fixture.

i put my co;s on a washer around 42" off the floor
so you dont have to move the washer to access it

the trap arm looks to be backfalling, but that could be the picture
and is that trap arm 1 1/2" ? if it is...red tag!!!
2" minimum, washer is 3 fixture unit, 1 1/2" pipe is maxed at 1

how long is that stand pipe?

Last edited:

Also, the wall was missed when laying-out the plumbing before the slab was poured so the drain and supply lines were extended through a trench cut into the slab. I'm pretty sure concrete should cap this trench for termite purposes but don't know if it's covered in any code for the Manatee County area.

frodo said:
where is the clean out. red tag!!!!!!!
upc requires a clean on ever fixture.

i put my co;s on a washer around 42" off the floor
so you dont have to move the washer to access it

the trap arm looks to be backfalling, but that could be the picture
and is that trap arm 1 1/2" ? if it is...red tag!!!
2" minimum, washer is 3 fixture unit, 1 1/2" pipe is maxed at 1

how long is that stand pipe?

IPC, which is the model code for Florida codes, has a residential code, and many of the cleanout requirments are very relaxed.

If it were to be to IPC commercial code, the stack would have to be 3" to the santee.

frodo said:
when they "fixed" the plumbing. the water piping,

did they use a coupling under your floor?

code is no fittings under the slab. period. not like obamas period a real period. NO NO

IPC allows CPVC solvent weld fittings under the slab. That is done every day in this state.

IPC, which is the model code for Florida codes, has a residential code, and many of the cleanout requirments are very relaxed.

If it were to be to IPC commercial code, the stack would have to be 3" to the santee.

IPC allows CPVC solvent weld fittings under the slab. That is done every day in this state.

REALLY???? that plumber would be run off so fast he would not know where he was around here

in my opinion, no, you dont want my opinion.lets just say i do not like the IPC.
has anyone but me, ever tried to move a washer that was full of water. cause it could not drain?
common since, says to install a co, above the top of the washer. for easy access.
nd cpvc joints under a slab????

they way we relaxed the co code around here
each fixtures trap is a co. the trap can be removed
except kitchen sinks and washers they get co's

sorry phishfood,,no disrespect twards you or your florida brethren, that code caught me off guard. really?
how many toilets on a 3" line? here a 2 bath house with a single lav in one bath,double lav in the other
k.s,group, washer 3" max add a double lav, go to 4"

1352468455851-300x157.jpg

Last edited:
how many toilets on a 3" line? here a 2 bath house with a single lav in one bath,double lav in the other
k.s,group, washer 3" max add a double lav, go to 4"
Each bathroom group counts as 5 DFU's, any fixture beyond the three basic adds it's own DFU count to that total, KS and laundry each add 2.

So if you take a slightly more than basic house.

Master bath starts at 5DFU, but has a double lav which adds one DFU. And a shower along with a soaker tub, add 2. Kid's bath, 5 DFU. Half bath, 3 for the toilet and one for the lav, 4 DFU's. Kitchen sink, and an additional food prep sink, 2 each, for 4 DFU's. Laundry room, with a laundry tub, total of 4 DFU's.

Total of 25 DFU's. You are allowed 36 on a 3" building drain, so we have 11 more to go before we need to go to 4".

And it works. I have done lots of apartment buildings plumbed to minimum code, and we have never run into an issue with over taxing the drain line sized this way.

Now that I am out on my own, I don't run right to the edge of allowable under code, but I would have no qualms with plumbing the house I described on 3".

CPVC under the slab? Well, code allows it, the new construction market is cut throat around here, so, there you go.

Back