Gas tank water heater vs electric tankless water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boblc123

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an 11 year old gas water heater (reliance 606) i believe. I recently had to replace the thermocouple. I'm now thinking about replacing the entire heater just because of it's age. I don't want to come home to a flooded basement.

I was thinking about tankless heaters and have decided that I cannot install a gas tankless heater because of the venting requirements, gas line size requirements, etc... Therefore, if I went tankless it would have to be electric tankless.

I've been looking at the Rheem RTE 13 from home depot for $179. What are your thoughts? It's cheaper than buying a new gas tank water heater. I was wondering about energy efficiency though. Does anyone know if an electric 13khw tankless heater would cost about the same, less, or more to operate than a regular gas water heater?

I also feel like I could install the tankless by myself, but I would have to hire a plumber to replace the gas water heater because gas lines scare me and I won't work with them.

Only 4 gallons per minute. I couldn't find the temperature rise chart for it with a really quick search, but I would imagine that the 4 GPM is at the low side of the temperature rise chart. If your water gets really cold in the winter months, it wouldn't even deliver the 4 GPM. It also requires a 60 amp dedicated breaker and circuit, so then you would need an electrician.

My general experience with electric tankless hasn't been all that good.

The RTE 13 is more of a point-of-use water heater, don't think it will hold up to whole house uses.

Anyone I know with electric tankless hates them, including the few customers I have installed them for. Only positive thing I have heard were from the installers commenting on how light they are to carry :rolleyes:

I replaced a Stiebel Eltron a few months ago that the homeowners had been really happy with. I believe it made it to 8 years of age before it failed. But that one had three 60 amp circuits feeding it.

Latest posts

Back