Odor from toilet tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhooligan

Reaction score
I do facilities work at a large veterinary hospital and I'm troubleshooting an odor that's coming from one our toilets. It's almost a sewer smell but not quite the same. After checking I found that it's not coming from the base or from the inside of the bowl. It is very concentrated in the actual tank (as unusual as that sounds). I've already removed the tank and the pressure tank from inside of it (It's a Flushmate equipped toilet) and cleaned and disinfected the inside but the smell has returned after a couple days. Any ideas of what might be the cause?

When you have a sewer gas leak it is very hard to locate the source. Unless you do a smoke test. In your case I would replace the wax seal as this the #1 source for sewer gas leaks. If for nothing else just to eliminate the wax seal.

John

Yeah if it's only from one toilet it couldn't be to do with the water. Sometimes this stuff is a shot in the dark without doing tests like John said. I agree and say replace the wax seal to start.

Latest posts

Back