Elbow Placement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thriftyhiker

Reaction score
I'm installing a new water softener. I have a very small area to tie in to the water line between the pressure regulator and the T that goes to the water heater. The pipes are in the wall and I need to run them out of the wall. This will require a lot of elbows. There is one area I'm going to have to use 3 elbows in about 10 in of line or less. I'm using 3/4 in PVC. Is there a code, regulation, or rule of thumb about how many elbows you can use in a certain amount of space?

No, excessive elbows will cause turbulant flow and age the pipe faster also risking the pipes being loud when in use but there are no code limitations, use 45's where you can to reduce flow restriction.

54bff72d5b63de56c5f259c0f17da47f_225.jpg

Thanks. Here's what I'm working with. The water supply comes up from the bottom right (behind drywall), comes out of the wall, goes through a shut off valve and the pressure regulator (just below were picture cuts off), reenters the wall, turns left through a 2X4 and Ts. The up T is to the water heater, the down is the main cold water supply. Any advice on how to route the pipes for the softener?

Not polite to break in, but...

No, excessive elbows will cause turbulant flow and age the pipe faster also risking the pipes being loud when in use but there are no code limitations, use 45's where you can to reduce flow restriction.

Thanks for that tip! ;)

PVC is not allowed inside a building. But it looks like you have CPVC you may have thought it was PVC.

John

R U saying PVC SCH 80 is not allowed to be used in indoor (pressure tank to filter system - no hot water introduced - CPCV from after filters) plumbing? :confused:

In my area PVC is not allowed inside the home. If the filter system is out side it is allowed.

John

:eek:

What would be the reason? It is SCH 80 potable water compliant. No hot water is introduced. CPCV is installed immediately afterwards.

The house is in WV. Does anyone know what code calls for here?

What's your experiance with PEX pipe? I just discovered it the other day and think it may be good for this application. How are the joints with CPVC and brass made? Are they simple?

Also, how much "play" is acceptable in CPVC? I have an area where the pipe comes out of the wall (shown in picture) and runs parallel perpendicular with the wall about 2 inches from it. I need to run it along the wall to get it behind my furnace. If I turn the 45 in slightly towards the wall can the CPVC be bent enough to run it along the wall?

Latest posts

Back