Sink drain for my built in BBQ

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
I am in the process of building an outdoor kitchen and I may not be able to tie into the sewer in the house due to elevations. Is it legal to use a detention pit?

I'm pretty sure in CA it is not legal. I'll have to look in the book.

I have set up for mine a 50 gallon drum drilled out and filled with rocks. I burried it so you would never know it is there. Considering how little I use the sink on the BBQ area I have zero concern for issues with it.

At the time I installed it in my yard, I was having inspections for other items on the house, and the inspector never even looked in that direction.

I'll let you know what I find in the CPC

I'm pretty sure in CA it is not legal. I'll have to look in the book.

I have set up for mine a 50 gallon drum drilled out and filled with rocks. I burried it so you would never know it is there. Considering how little I use the sink on the BBQ area I have zero concern for issues with it.

At the time I installed it in my yard, I was having inspections for other items on the house, and the inspector never even looked in that direction.

I'll let you know what I find in the CPC

Thanks, I figured you would know. I know waterworks and the big stuff just not as good with the small things. I was thinking something similar the the 55 gallon drumm perferated filled with gravel buried with filter fabric all around it. Like a retention/detention pit. i just don't know what the state/county would say.

I don't think anyone would even know it was there unless it was causing problems. I'm finding nothing in the book for this.

you might consider something like this:
http://www.treepeople.org/install-drywell

Again, with mine, I use it so little that the sprinklers put more water into the rocks than the sink does.

I would probably not use mine all that much either and will probably just put it in, I was wondering for the occasional soap that would go down the drain.

The only time it could come back to 'bite' you would be if you were to sell the property. It could show up on an inspection, you'd most likely have to take it out.

Back