Can't Remove Shower Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessb_55

Reaction score
So I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove this shower valve, and is it weird that everything is plastic. The parts I was able to remove I brought into Menards and they told me that's an extension for a moen faucet and that I should only have to replace a spring and seat to repair my leaking faucet, however I still can't get the thing out.

Do I need a special tool or something? Thanks in advance!

Could you post up a picture so we could help identify the valve in order to help you better?

I don't believe that is a Moen single lever faucet. It's a two valve and to remove the stem he needs a socket to loosen the brass nut holding the stem in place.

John

That's a Delta. You could end up breaking the plastic or losing your grip and end up with nothing to grab on to, but it should pull straight out.

So I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove this shower valve, and is it weird that everything is plastic. The parts I was able to remove I brought into Menards and they told me that's an extension for a moen faucet and that I should only have to replace a spring and seat to repair my leaking faucet, however I still can't get the thing out.

Do I need a special tool or something? Thanks in advance!

I don't know what the hell a Menards is, but I suggest never getting plumbing advice from them again. Caduceus is correct, this appears to be an older style delta.

Moens don't have seats or springs, their extension kits are partially brass, and the end of their stem has a different shape.

Anyways, you could try spraying the cartreidge area with some PB blaster to loosen up any calcium deposits which may be making the cartridge stick. Rotating the cartridge to loosen it will also help, do this by placing a screwdriver against the raised part (at the bottom of your photo) and very carefully and gently tapping it with a hammer until it turns slightly. that should break it free of any tough deposits. I did mention the gently and carefully part, right?

Just wanted to say thanks to SlowDrip, PB Blaster was exactly what i needed to get the cartridges out after soaking them and rocking them back and forth. Replaced the seats and springs and the leak seems to be no longer at least so far :)

Thanks so much for the wonderful help!

Thanks for posting back!

So often someone asks a question, we answer back with whatever help we can give, and we never know if we managed to help them.

That's a Delta. You could end up breaking the plastic or losing your grip and end up with nothing to grab on to, but it should pull straight out.

Looks like he got it . Just a comment about getting a plastic stem out if you happened to break it leaving nothing to grab.

I had a Moen Posi Temp where the customer broke the stem and could not shut off the water.
That was a mid-night double time call. :D

I drove a wood screw ( pre drilling it would work better) into the plastic .
The bigger the better, just be careful you don't damage the valve body.

And just for the record, I'm a female ;) So one more question. the one cartridge i bought was a Danco product, the 2nd I got off Amazon because it was a lot cheaper. However I've noticed the Amazon cartridge turns a lot harder than the Danco replacement, it works fine doesn't leak or anything, but just turns harder. Is it safe to assume it's the cartridge, or is there another contributing factor that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back