Metal pipe stuck in metal pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yepididthat

Reaction score
Hi,
I hope someone feels like answering a question for stupid mistakes.
Bicycle people can't help with this, and I thought you guys would have ideas.
I have a metal bicycle seatpost stuck alllllll the way down in a bike frame. There is nothing to try to pull it out with (like a bike seat) because the top of the metal seatpost is about 5 inches down.
I have tried a few things. Apparently they haven't worked. Hissy fits also not effective.
Any suggestions or idea on how to get like..a grab on the pipe inside so I can at least twist it to get it lubricated. Ace bandages and wire hangers have not been successful. It is also too far down to try to hook it and pull it up so my only place to grab in the inside of the seatpost.

Also, nothing is corroded, it is a brand new bike. Didn't even ride it yet :(
But i did notice, before it slipped out of the seat clamp that is had...like serrations...little cut marks where other my other seatpost is smooth. If that helps (me get it out)

Thank you!

A good penetrating oil (like PBlaster) and a good set of vice grip type pliers is all I can think of. If you are concerned about scratching the seat post, place a small piece of rubber between the vice grips and the post.

Maybe a lawn sprinkler nipple extractor. They are usually used on plastic pipe, but I have used them on plastic & metal nipple extraction.

Maybe a lawn sprinkler nipple extractor. They are usually used on plastic pipe, but I have used them on plastic & metal nipple extraction.

That looks perfect! I'll hit up Ace to see if they have it.

And thanks for all of the responses. I don't have a torch, but I did try a hair dryer to heat the frame. Dry ice was mentioned for the inside pipe when I was hunting, but I'm in a very small town with very few options.

But perhaps some lubricant, that extractor, some heat...bingobang...well, etc.

Thanks all!

You need a fishing tool. A piece of metal about 2/3rds the thickness of the post with a 1/4" to 1/2" slot on one side that you can hinge another slice of metal into. It would be made so it falls down and it is sharpened so that once it is lowered into the post, the sharp edge gets wedged into the post and would have to pull it up for the whole thing to come out. I know a picture would have been better.

As it turns out, I'm too cheap to buy anything, so I found a thin tension rod for curtains, stuck double sided foam tape to it, jiggled it, and it came out. Thanks for all of the help, because my brain was not working until I got ideas from you guys :)

Well, that was a pretty anti-climatic end! I'm glad it worked out for you and if you need anything else, just holler!

Latest posts

Back