Hot Water Tank / Out of Sync..??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorPlan

Reaction score
:confused: I've Fiddled,Fuddled,& Farted around with this Issue for sometime now and Frankly I'm Stumped to the 9th Order..Just a short Background to Present Day...

We live in a Rural Area (Well&Septic) Hard Water & Iron Content is a given..We have a UV Light, HD Water Softener, Reverse Osmosis ...Which has given us a handle on preventing Rust Stains and Residue left behind on the Tub & Toilet...I have the Water Quality tested Religiously with the local Health Office, each and everytime the results comeback totally acceptable levels...

The House came with a Previous Water Treatment System that was Totally Useless from Culligan Man..After 4 yrs of trying to get some satisfaction We had it Removed..Then had our present setup installed...No more Rust Stains for starters..Things were moving right along till the Water Heater decided to show it's age , the elements were making like their pooched...

Present Day Problem, New Tank with Anode Rod installed...If were gone a couple days or so..Turn on the Hot Water Tap to the Tub..A Black Film Sediment comes pouring out usually taking a good couple minutes before running clear , plus a slight sulphuric smell...The previous hot water tank never gave us this kinda grief...As with the previous H/W tank About every 6 months I would drain off Sediment that would settle at the bottom of the tank ...:rolleyes:

Any thoughts, tricks or ideas much appreciated...Cheers Thanks. :rolleyes:

It is apparent that your problem is starting inside your water heater, at the anode rod. What type rod is installed inside it? I've heard success stories when some remove the anode rod completely and plug the hole, but this will obviously kill your warranty and the water heater will have a shorter life. Before jumping to conclusions, please allow our water well experts to chime in to see if they can offer a better solution.

Start with replacing the anode rod with an aluminum anode rod. Most WH come with magnesium rods which generally work well except they sometimes react badly especially with some well water. The aluminum rods should be available at most stores that sell water heaters.

The culprit in the odor from an anode rod is bacteria. If you turn your heater up to 140°, the bacteria will die. ( I would die at much lower temps) If turning your water temp up to 140° scares the pants off you; you could remove it or try a different anode rod. Sometimes that works.

Another remedy is adding chlorine to your water with a Feed Pump which is not my favorite. I don't like Chlorine because it eats plumbing, clothing etc.

If it were mine, I would remove it completely. I did that on a house I once owned and it took a week or so for the odor to finally disappear. This was on city (county) water with chlorimine and I don't understand why the chlorine didn't kill the bacteria, but it obviously didn't.

Last edited:
The culprit in the odor from an anode rod is bacteria. If you turn your heater up to 140°, the bacteria will die. ( I would die at much lower temps) If turning your water temp up to 140° scares the pants off you; you could remove it or try a different anode rod. Sometimes that works.

Another remedy is adding chlorine to your water with a Feed Pump which is not my favorite. I don't like Chlorine because it eats plumbing, clothing etc.

If it were mine, I would remove it completely. I did that on a house I once owned and it took a week or so for the odor to finally disappear. This was on city (county) water with chlorimine and I don't understand why the chlorine didn't kill the bacteria, but it obviously didn't.

:eek: The Replacement Tank came preset for the U.S. @ 140'F...Had it turned down to Canadian accepted level of 125'F....

I think my best recourse would be to go after the Company that installed the New Tank as they've already been out once to replace the aluminum anode rod added some ball bearing style beads down the cylinder as well..

Some of the locals do add chlorine a couple times throughout the year ...I use the Rust Remover Salt in the HD Water Softener...:). I had even drained off a few gallons throughout the year which got rid of sediment that collects in the bottom of the tank...My issue is the fact the Previous Tank despite my issues with the water quality never gave me this grief...:cool:

I didn't know any heaters came preset at 140°. That's a little scary.

None of the many water heater brands I have installed has ever come from the factory with a "preset" temperature because the temp knob has to be set to pilot light first.

None of the many water heater brands I have installed has ever come from the factory with a "preset" temperature because the temp knob has to be set to pilot light first.
I never even thought of Gas. I have never had one, all mine have always been Electric.

Electrically Heated Hot Water Tank

;) Canadian Manufacturer (Giant Factories Inc.) Page 9 under General Maintenance in the Operating Manual....The Thermostat is Factory Set @ 140'F (60'C) for Canadian Models and 125'F (52'C) for U.S. Models... With instructions on how to go about how to turn up/down the temp dials to each element..btw In my original Post I had my U.S. / Canada settings Reversed...I had the setting turned down from 140'F to 125'F...It is definitely Scolding Hot otherwise...:eek:

:) In my query concerning the Anode Rod I contacted the Company that Installed the Hot Water Tank..They have scheduled an appointment to come out,they say Removing the Anode Rod altogether will solve my problem ??:cool:

I didn't know any heaters came preset at 140°. That's a little scary.

The Techs from the Company that Installed the Tank came this morning...Prior to installing a new tank they removed the Anode Rod completely..Yes the concern about shortening the life of the tank could be a concern but we should get a minimum 8 / 10 yrs if all goes well and the Warranty is still Valid..We do have a UV Light & HD Water Softener prior to the HW Tank...

The new tank came preset from the Factory @ 140'F ...lol...They accommodated me no problem turning both elements down to 125'F...They did say By Law they could not set it any lower.....:)

;) @ speedbump..This Preset Temp deal is a Destination Thing, the Units are Manufactured in Montreal,Quebec...10-4 on High Temps killing Bacteria for sure...Your neighborhood would be preset for 125'F...My neighborhood 140'F being in Snowflake Country ??That would burn , scald the BeeJeepers out of my skin...In reality seeing as this HW Tank is Electric, just to maintain hot water set so high would cost $$$ as Hydro One think were made of money..lol..

As for Removing the Anode Rod, it's kinda like a Pillar to Post decision..lol..The Objective of course is to get rid of the Black Film & Smell..The Installers removed the Anode Rod prior to Installation, warranty still in tacked..Finally caught my Neighbor who replaced his HW Tank about 16 months ago..First thing he did was Remove the Anode Rod..His previous tank lasted 12 yrs without...:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back