Water leaking! Please help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatherof2

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Brand new here..............first post.

I think I may have really screwed up here.

I was trying to replace my shower handle. The handle itself was broken but not leaking at all.

I removed the old one and started slowly backing out the screw on the right. When I did, cold water started coming out of the head. I screwed it back in flush, and the water continues to come out.

I shut the water off in the house as it is more than a drip.

What the heck did I do? How do I fix this?

Thanks very much for any advice!

Here is a picture:

Not sure on the exact maker but those 2 screws probably hold the cartridge in.
if the water is off take both screw out remove the metal ring. The cartridge probably has an o-ring that got out of place when you loosened the screw.
May even have pinched the o-ring. look at the cartridge with out pulling it out and make sure it is set into the valve right. might be tweaked a little with the water pressure behind it and did not go back in right when you tried to retighten.

That is a Kohler for sure, (I believe the specific valve body name is RiteTemp).

Mr David nailed it, there is an Oring in there that seals the plastic mixer assembly to the valve body that has pushed out. I would want to replace it now that it has been pinched when you tightened it back up. Sometimes you can find Kohler parts at HomeDepot or Lowes, sometimes you have to go to a good plumbing supply house.

You guys were right!

Problem solved!

Thank you both very much!

Back