Installing plastic Push and Seal drain with P-trap?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanne

Reaction score
I meant "metal" P-trap. Ugh.

I got a new faucet to install but I realized after the purchase that it doesn't have a diverter, thus I will have to use the factory provided "Push and Seal" drain by Pfister
41ZiQd4OXYL.jpg

One of the issues is that the 1.25" drain is plastic but my existing pipes appear to be metal.
1796874_455282301271307_141751630_o.jpg

965516_455282334604637_778631589_o.jpg

(I just looked at the pic and realized where I put the Pepto Bismol 8 years ago)

It looks to me like the metal pipe is sealed together with teflon tape. I'm assuming that it probably functions in a similar manner to the equivalent PVC fittings.
137ae54c-f909-4547-af96-03e88bfad6a3_400.jpg

Could I still use the existing pipe and attach it to the plastic drain or would I need to replace the whole run with PVC?

I'm hoping I can keep the existing pipes for now-- even though I don't like the S-trap-- since I would have to go under the house to do it.

Would the metal ones fit ok temporarily? Can pipe dope be used with the metal and plastic together?

Last edited by a moderator:
use pipe dope,,throw that ^%$^&&% teflon tape at a squirrel , if he runs off with it, GOOD!!!!

LOL!! Ok, so the old washers won't be any good once I take them off?

Any particular type of pipe dope you'd recommend?

I would replace the whole thing with plastic if it didn't involve going under the house (last time I went under I ended up with a staph infection on my face somehow)-- but I'm tempted to buy the parts for a plastic trap and hook it up. I don't like that stupid S-trap. If I used the plastic trap, would I still need pipe dope to hook it to the metal S-crap part?

Eventually, I'm hoping to make it right by cutting a hole in the wall inside that vanity and putting a vent pipe in from the attic to move the drain in to the wall-- which will bring the waste pipe closer to the main egress to the septic tank.

I loooooove me some teflon tape.

But it doesn't belong in that situation. The rubber seals are what makes a water tight connection on a chrome trap. If the rubber seals are bad, teflon tape or pipe dope are just a hack fix. The metal trap will seal onto the plastic drain tube, but you really should use new rubber seals on it.

Me myself, I would probably replace the metal trap as well, just to make sure I didn't get a call back.

But it doesn't belong in that situation. The rubber seals are what makes a water tight connection on a chrome trap. If the rubber seals are bad, teflon tape or pipe dope are just a hack fix. The metal trap will seal onto the plastic drain tube, but you really should use new rubber seals on it.

Me myself, I would probably replace the metal trap as well, just to make sure I didn't get a call back.

Ahh! Ok. I wonder if they used the teflon tape because there was a leak or something.. Would I need extra rubber seals or just the standard plastic washer thingies that come with the trap when attaching to the metal.

I'm guessing from the looks of it that it leaked at some point.

I stuck my phone with video camera and flash on under the house and panned it around to see if I could figure out where the sink comes down but couldn't spot it on the small screen. I'll have to upload it later and see if I can go through on larger screen and spot it. I might not have had the right angle. It looks like a jumbled mess under there with water supply lines practically touching the waste lines. Also found derelict metal waste lines just sitting there unattached. Wonder if they are worth anything to a metal scrapyard.

The video sucks and I'll have to get screencaps to point out what I think I can identify. The pipe with the dripping water is from the air conditioner carrying the moisture away.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AvcjsjsrTM[/ame]

I paused it and moved to another spot because I wasn't sure where stuff was-- I just shoved the camera under and moved it around.

take a picture of where the pipe goes thru the floor,

lift the esction. the chrome thingy covering the hole thru the floor

bet you a stale fried bologna sammich, it has a nut under it

you need to fix the drippy ac drain, that water will invite termites

take a picture of where the pipe goes thru the floor,

lift the esction. the chrome thingy covering the hole thru the floor

bet you a stale fried bologna sammich, it has a nut under it

you need to fix the drippy ac drain, that water will invite termites

If you mean from above, I can't see it. There originally was carpet in the bathroom and they put the vanity over the carpet. When the sewage backed up after the toilet in the adjacent bathroom fell through the floor, it ended up flooding the bathroom and soaked that carpet. I couldn't remove it and I felt it was hazardous so I put a toekick under there to seal it up. The pipe goes down through the cabinet and they caulked the bejeezus out of it. If you mean from under the house, I need to see if I can find it. I had to stand in a pit that was dug to access the underside of the house and clean up the sewage after the toilet incident.

Not sure how to fix the drippy pipe. It extends in to the the pit. I'll have to get pictures sometime.

How does the rest of the plumbing look under there though? I know it was a bit fuzzy at times. I noticed that the water supply lines for one of the sinks were practically touching the waste lines.

But it doesn't belong in that situation.

reason i dislike teflon tape.

95% of the people who use it do not use it correctly.

they do not apply it correctly or the use it, where, it is not intended to be used

get a can of old #5, use it on anything with threads

when yo get it on your hands, wipe it on your sammich. tastes good

I'll have to take another crack at it and see if I can trace back to where the water is dripping outside the pipe from the AC. That is more toward the middle of the house, deeper in. Going to have to use the windows above to get oriented on where things are, and I'm thinking of getting one of those window well support thingies around the pit to keep more dirt from eroding. My external AC is already tipping slightly toward the pit on one corner because of the erosion.

I'll see if I can get some pics in a few mins. If I take a video, I will have to wait til midnight to upload.

I went outside with the camera and video recorded, but forgot what I was supposed to take still pics of.... LOL.

My yard is a complete disaster.

I only snapped this one.
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...287_723145764484958_8514864477517757193_o.jpg

closest window is west side of my room. window closest to AC is my bathroom window which is not far from the vanity. I did locate the metal sink pipe. I think it might be threaded on the bottom but it was too hard to really see. I'll have to watch the video once I upload it. Wish my phone would let me transfer data directly to pc and laptop, but I get an error about device not installed properly (tried updating drivers to no avail).

Edit: I discovered that my phone can take screenshots of the videos. You learn something new every day. LOL.

This appears to be the sink drain
11923260_723157381150463_7341357607368846202_n.jpg

From the position of the joist, if I want to remove the S-trap, I will probably need to have the drain come through the floor outside of the wall and then have the vent go in to the wall and up into the attic.

Here's a lower view where I can barely see the trap for my tub behind stuff-- and the soil pipe for my toilet.
11057226_723157344483800_7966647944415022247_n.jpg

Panning to the right
11949260_723157314483803_6446969015466395290_n.jpg

Several feet to the right of that (southward) I saw this:
11947493_723157234483811_6027334767551535594_n.jpg

I think that is disconnected pipe that was just left under there.

I looked at the dripping AC line and noticed that the problem seems to be that the pipe angles upward toward the end and the water is flowing back down the pipe and dripping from the middle under the house. It wasn't routed to come very far out from under the house and was left to just drip. Any ideas on how to fix that? It's left a puddle under the house.

Last edited:
I've never sent e-mail with my phone. I wonder if it would be as annoying as uploading it to Youtube.

Thanks. I think temporarily for now I will use a plastic P-trap and attach it to 1 and later on I will replace 1 with PVC.

Just for kicks, I uploaded a video of some of the plumbing under the house along with part of my yard just around the house. Total disaster.
When I watched it on Youtube it looks like it skipped parts and jumped around a bit or something. I suck at holding the camera still.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agJX38H7jsI[/ame]

The neighbor's horses left some presents in the yard.

Thanks Frodo. If I can get it slanting downward instead of going up at the end it might help-- but it still drips into that pit so I need to find a way to catch it or maybe dig a hole where it drips with a post-hole digger and fill it with dust-free gravel or something.

Good thing I got pics and video when I did because it rained a lot yesterday and last night. Then I saw some copperheads on the road. I think I ran one over. Beautiful snakes, but deadly.

The issue with e-mailing is that I still have to upload the video and with my internet connection it can take 10 minutes for a short video. I figured out how to upload it to Youtube. Also, because it uses my bandwidth, I have to upload during my "free" period so it won't make me go over the limit-- which means midnight to 4:59am is when I have to upload/download videos.

The above video took about 20 min to upload.

Gonna wait for the ground to dry a bit and get some muck boots before climbing under the house. I'm thinking of wrapping myself in a tarp. LOL.

I went to the store to buy a P-trap and the only kits they had came with an accordion type piece. Boo. I'll have to try a different store on Thursday or Friday when I take my cat in to get her tooth pulled and abscess cleaned out.

Quick question: I got the 1 1/4 plastic P-trap and it came with the little plastic washers as well as the rubber ones. I know how the plastic ones go on, but what about the rubber? What's the correct order of assembly?

Back