AO Smith ECRT 52 Electrical Water Heater issues.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrATX

Reaction score
Hello forum,

I have done extensive searching on multiple sites and read numerous articles but nothing has solved my problem.

I will probably throw in the towel and call a professional plumber but first I wanted some advice from other DIY'ers.

Problem:

No Hot Water.

Steps taken:
Checked circuit breaker - Good

Upper Thermostat has 0 Voltage on my multi meter - replaced thermostat still 0 voltgae
Replaced Lower thermostat for the heck of it and still nothing

Pressed reset button on thermostat, not sure if the button should stay down or if this model thermostat doesn't "stay down" when pressed. Old or new thermostat the button doesn't stay down when pressed.

I checked the ohms on the heater elements and they are both within 12.0 reading.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you can't get voltage anywhere on the upper thermostat, than you don't have power getting to the thermostat. Even if it is bad, power can still get to it, just can't pass through it.

Thanks, the elements tested seemed to be fine and I replaced the upper one for kicks and it wasn't the problem.

I do think it's odd that I have no voltage going into the old or new upper thermostat.

I checked the breaker and it's fine, not sure what else could be causing electricity not to flow down into the thermostat? The wires that are connected to the top of the unit seem to be getting electricity.

Thanks, the elements tested seemed to be fine and I replaced the upper one for kicks and it wasn't the problem.

I do think it's odd that I have no voltage going into the old or new upper thermostat.

I checked the breaker and it's fine, not sure what else could be causing electricity not to flow down into the thermostat?

The wires that are connected to the top of the unit seem to be getting electricity.

Incoming power has to be verified first.

Is this a new install or a service failure? Is there a shut-off switch (or box-possibly fused) between the breaker panel at or near the WH? There are only two wires at the WH hookup, RED and BLACK and the incoming wire (30A 2 Wire w GRD) BLACK and WHITE? Both feed wires (BLACK and WHITE) are hot?

WH Manual - Troubleshooting Page 6-

http://www.hotwater.com/water-heate...iency-electric-tank-water-heater-ecrt-52/#lit

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Electricity can kill you, you probably ought not to be messing with it.

That said, you need to verify 240 volts or thereabouts at the connection on the top of the water heater. Then you need to verify 240 or thereabouts at the two incoming wires at the top of the upper thermostat.

Disclaimer: Electricity can kill you, you probably ought not to be messing with it.

:(

THANX!
grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good save and advice.

For some reason I a$$-u-me most know how to approach electricity...
whistling2.gif

I would also re-do the wiring to the water heater, make sure you have one inch off exposed wire contacting and use properly side wire nuts top off by electrical tape

Back