Rerouting a plumbing air vent pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfusca

Reaction score
We're taking down a section of the wall between our kitchen and living room and we want to drop the 'bar height' down level with the sink. Unfortunately, the bulk of the section we're removing has plumbing and electrical in it. Most of that is not an issue. However, I'm trying to determine if I can reroute the air vent for the plumbing as below. The closest I could find on how to do it would be with an 'island loop':
I1MtT.jpg

I'm trying to determine if I can reroute the vent as such, rerouting in blue, existing sink level in red line:

VLbey.jpg

As far as I can tell, the relevant bit of the georgia plumbing code is this, but I'm trying to determine what exactly has to be 6" above the sink?:

agefk.jpg

what is going on under he floor of the kitchen? I see 3'' stubbed up and a Cross, are their 2 drains ?

your assumption is correct on the method of venting for an island.

BUT with out knowing what/how the 3'' is installed now.[underfloor] I can not give you an answer that what you want to do will work.

I would like more info.

Its a concrete slab and the 3inch pipe is the only waste down through there. The right side of the T has been cut off and nothing goes there. I don't know why it was there but there is nothing connected to the right side of the T.

A friend just suggested I don't need the loop at all, that I can simply reroute off the to side.

So you're suggesting not venting to the outside at all? Just the air inside the 3in pipe?

yes, your pipe is oversized. use the top as a vent, combination waste and vent

a vents main job is to keep equal atmospheric pressure in the plumbing system so that your trap does not get back syphoned. or sucked dry. your pipe being over sized will accomplish that job

11012065_829165337165278_2335228775580332686_n.jpg

Last edited:
I've never saw one like that before Frodo. Interesting! I can see how it would work for an 1 1/2" drain, but I have a feeling it's not up to any code

It is the way I prefer to vent island kitchens if I can. It satisfies International Plumbing Code requirements.

The only change I make is to install a 3" test/cleanout tee underneath the tee for the drainage, as I like to have an access for a full size cutter head should the line ever require snaking.

I learned that lil trick in Florida. I had been running the foot vent. till i saw how to upsize the kitchen drain line.

never ran a foot vent again'

it is actually called a combination waste and vent.

and to be total legal, needs a vent run off the line to the nearest wall

scan0001.jpg

Attachments

• 11012065_829165337165278_2335228775580332686_n.jpg
    11012065_829165337165278_2335228775580332686_n.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
section 910.5 says no vertical drain pipe, so does that mean what you're suggesting is in violation of that code?

Just checked 2010 Florida plumbing code, the only vertical part is the connection from the fixture drain to the horizontal combination drain and vent pipe. It can serve floor drains, sinks, lavatories, and drinking fountains. You can't run a disposal drain through it.

Back