hot water problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_fishn

Reaction score
i just replaced hot water heater with the exact same one i had. the old one was leaking. my son tells me his shower hasnt been hot for a few weeks now. i figured it could be mixing valve in shower. i havent had a chance to replace yet but could that be the reason im not getting hot water in kitchen sick or other bathroom? i can turn on hot water in kitchen and will not get hot. i can go in my bathroom and turn on water and then sink in kitchen will get hot. i have both thermostats on 135 and i can assure you, i have checked 10 times that i didnt cross the lines while hooking up.

Also, is this an electric hot water tank? If so, did you fill the tank full with water before turning the power on to it? If not, the element(s) may have been damaged or there may be another electrical issue.

i do not have a re-circulating system and it is electric.
i also filled the tank and got all the air out of the lines before turning it on.

replaced mixing valve in my sons bathroom yesterday. didnt make a didfference.

Maybe posting some pictures of the tank and surrounding piping would give a hint as to what is happening. If it was an even swap with no alterations to the piping it could be tough to figure out over the web.

Turn the kitchen sink on for hot water. You said it won't get hot.
While it's running, go to the heater and feel if the hot outlet pipe is getting hot and cold is cold.
Open bathroom faucet that you said makes the kitchen water hot.
Leave them running if the kitchen water now gets hot.
Go back to the tank and feel if the hot outlet pipe is getting hot and cold is cold.
Rereading the thread, it does seem as though there is a cross of hot & cold as John was suggesting with the recirc line.
Diagnostics are difficult over the internet, but I'm wondering if the dip tube on the previous tank was swapped to the other inlet/outlet and now the newer tank has a dip tube on the hot piping and the cold fills the top of the tank. It's been years and I've only seen it once where this was the case, so I can't quite remember the symptoms. Try the test anyways, maybe it will ring a bell with me or another member.

If you know how to use a multi meter I would first check to see if power is going to heater and making sure both wires have 120v going to them, if so turn your breaker off and check your ohms on elements those should be between 12 - 16oh if both elements are good I would check to see if you have some sort of leak in your hot water pipe under your slab or where ever your water lines run.

Latest posts

Back