drainage problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am assuming that my main line is backing up….well it's.
I have a cleanout (?) access pipe, in front of the house and it's filled to the top.
All sinks, toilet and bathtub are overflowing.
I rented an electric sewer sake (rooter) and was able to feed about 40feet (have a sewer system) and that's it.
I am still short about 10 feet of the street (assuming pipes go straight) not to mention another 10-15 feet to the city sewers.
I am “pulling” some debris but after 4 hours, using different attachment and what I felt was powerful enough machine ( not sure of the power, but it's a wheeled 75foot, electrically operated “ Rooter Junior”) to do the job, I am giving up.
Since the house is from 1979, I am guessing the pipes are PCV (?) so there shouldn't be “collapse” scenario.
Is it possible for the drain to be clogged so much as for the pipes to be in need of digging-up? Or is a pro capable of “taking” care of this? Is there a “technique” to using a rooter?
Unfortunately, with an exemption for the access in front of the house, only other way of snaking is thru a roof vent. The house is a small 3 bad ranch, with on bath! :confused:

I believe it's time for you to hire a professional who could insert a camera into your drain lines and tell you exactly what type of problem you have. If it is just a clog, they will fix the problem. If it is a collapsed line, they will also show you exactly where the problem is, so you don't waste time digging in the incorrect place.

A drain cleaning company/service plumber has the equipment, and most importantly, the knowledge of how to use it, to either deal with the problem or tell you what the problem is.

You rented an undersized machine which has an undersized cable (diameter and length)
It is clearable from the clean out that has the standing water in it.

How tough the stoppage is depends on whats going on down there root wise some screen like tiny roots or a massive tree in the line or even a bad spot in the pipe, i.e. missaligned, offset, crushed, belly'd or missing putting cable into the dirt? A video cammera can tell you exactly what the problem is, most will include the camera free if they get the repair. other wise the camera cost about 300 dollars.

If not experienced using a rooter machine you can hurt yourself pretty bad. and damage the equipment. youv'e got to pay close attention to the feel and torque and not wind into a root ball getting the cable stuck.

I don't recommend trying it yourself if your a novice it's just not worth it when you don't know what your doing. This is one of those things better left to the professional, saving money time, frustration, sickness, and possibly life and limb.

Water jetting is good, does a better cleaning job but much more expensive $$$. sometimes you need it.
But most times you don't, but those with them need to push their use AMAP in order to pay for them, the training and upkeep.

Truth is a high % of lines can be opened with a cable for much less. Add to that neither one is "a fix" only a symptom treater.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, these guys are absolutely correct. Hire a pro - don't risk it.

the line could be broken, could have gotten the snake caught , and would have to replace the line...call a professinal to the job....they have the right equipment, the knowledge and tricks on how to do the job right

Latest posts

Back