How Do I Add a P-Trap to a Copper (?) Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasontnyc

Reaction score
I started to get a smell in the downstairs bathroom and after ruling out the wax seal on the toilet it is coming from the sink drain. We are in a split level so technically its in the basement.

Strangely there is no P-Trap, just a drain that goes into the wall and I assume straight into the sewer line as the drain doesn't come out on the other side (a garage is on the other side of the wall).

Is there a reason for not having a trap?

The main question: How do I install one. I am quite handy and have no problems working with PVC but wanted to get advice on how I disconnect the copper (is it copper?) drain and what I would use to go Copper -->PVC (links to home depot welcome!).

I am assuming i use a blowtorch to melt any solder but want to check first as I don't usually work with copper. If it was a pressurized line I would call a plumber but I'm confident with guidance I can add the trap.

Thanks, Jason

IFyMuDo

photo.jpg

Are Fernco couplings allowed for exterior work as well? (crawlspace actually, so exposed to outside air).
I also have a copper drain pipe for a toilet, and I need to relocate that drain.

Iv only just installed this app but am guessing this is in America. To go from copper to PVC a mechanical PVC fitting can be used also on larger pipes "4inch" a flexicon is what I would use. Sorry if I'm using different words to what they get called over there but hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

How much space is there from the wall to the elbow on that pipe? It looks pretty cramped.
Lenox makes a tool that is like the letter C and it fits around the pipes. You turn it around the pipe and tighten it progressively until it cuts through. I don't know if they make it large enough for that size though. It looks so tight I don't know if there is room. I was thinking it would need to be cut above the elbow and then allow enough space for the P while still leaving room for the fernco fitting.

Can whatever is up against the pipe be moved temporarily?

I'm not an expert, btw. So if someone here who is can give better advice, listen to them instead.

Back