What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to a fish house last week, and ordered cole slaw, or that's what I thought. It was kale slaw, made from that hideous dark green crap. Horrible!

Zanne, where are you located. Just curious....

I'm down in Louisiana. I'm originally from California but we moved all over the country-- Georgia, Virginia, Texas, and then we moved overseas to Singapore and Guam. My family is spread out all over too.
Kale is not something that is found in the supermarkets here-- but they used to have that kale salad stuff at Sams. Last time I checked they didn't have it anymore. But they have a chicken salad with pecans and cranberries (not the dried kind) and it's pretty good.

I cleaned up the garage, then found my generator looking sad. I put in a new battery, added some gas, and let it run for an hour. It is now ready to go for when we have our earthquake, unless California drops off into the ocean. If so, you will rid yourselves of some really bad "hombres", as Trump would say.

I found out my favorite cardiologist died. Apparently it was sudden & unexpected. His staff hadn't had time to notify all of his patients so some came in for appointments only to be told of his demise. He was the first and only cardiologist who actually listened and seemed to care. I found out about his death when I took my friend's gf to the cardiologist for her appointment. She has a hole in her heart & needs more tests & they want to close the hole. The new cardiologist there probably thought I was her mother and started telling me about her condition and what tests they are going to run. He seems like a nice young man. Staff and nurses were very nice.

Meanwhile, I have a leak/break somewhere in my outside waterlines. Had to close the outside shutoff and will need to try to locate the break. I'm so glad that my father had multiple shut-offs.

My ankles/feet are slowly getting better. We got our cat Daisy and her daughter Hatshepsut spayed and when I was at the vet's office my doctor walked in to pick up his dogs. He was in a good mood and was cracking jokes. It was good to see him outside of the office.

How is everyone else doing?

Chiming in. Good here. Went to the desert weekend before last and hung out with Chris and did some 4 wheeling

Yeah, it's been awefully quiet in here.

I mowed the lawn today, then edged, then went inside and napped for 2 hours. I feel like I wasted a day.

I think I saw a video on how to properly prepare kale. Showed them putting it on a plate and dumping it directly in to the trash can. Same with vegan "bacon". LOL.

Although, I've heard there is a type of seaweed called dulse that allegedly tastes just like bacon. I'm not a fan of seaweed though.

I love seaweed salad. Nothing like or even close to kale. Kale sucks.

There is a new food fad here? I think it"s origins are Hawaiian.
They call it POKE.

It's a bowl with a rice base, then chunks of diced raw fish, cooked octopus or shrimp. then you add other stuff the way you like it.
Like a Subway sandwich.
Edemame, green onions, diced tomatoes, jalapenos, SEAWEED SALAD,
masago ( tiny fish eggs ) ginger, pineapple, avocado and a number of other tasty condiments.

I love that stuff.

images5LR1EDRP.jpg

images6PJBYDQ3.jpg

imagesFTXCGX71.jpg

imagesYC68DFZR.jpg

I worked on the TJ jeep for a few hours. I got rid of that damn cold air intake, and replaced it back to stock. It sounds like a jeep now and not a vacuum cleaner. I also cleaned up the side of the yard, took a 36 bottle wine cooler fridge to Goodwill, and tossed a bunch of crap that I never use.

My brother had his AC worked on in his truck. Got the compressor replaced but it's not blowing cold so there must be a leak somewhere.

Mr_David, I've never found a seaweed that I liked and I'm not a fan of raw fish. Well, not a fan of fish in general. I've never been big on seafood. Clam chowder and fillet of fish (from McDonalds) and tunafish sandwiches are ok, but for the most part, I stick to chicken. I cut back on the carbs a bit- I love potatoes but lately I've been eating less of them. When I go to restaurants I get the veggies instead of fries or potato. Although the last time I went to IHOP I had chocolate pancakes with chocolate mousse on them... They were pretty good.

I went to IHOP I had chocolate pancakes with chocolate mousse on them... They were pretty good.

Oh Yeah! If you go to IHOP you can't just eat plain pancakes!

When I go to a Steak house restaurant I usually order salmon. I love fish.
I used to harvest sea urchins. I would dive between 30 - 60 ft and pick a couple hundred pounds of them in one day. The sushi bars were unheard of back in those days. ( mid 80's )
They where exported to Korea because in the winter, their coast was to harsh to harvest their own.
That was the coolest job I ever had. worked about 3 days a week.
Not sure why I brought it up. maybe my love for eating fish.
I had to go find a photo from back then

DiverDave2.jpg

Last edited:
My father LOVED scuba diving. He used to get some sea urchin and eat it raw. He also had a special license to collect specimens from the ocean for the aquarium at his university. I think he first learned to dive in the 60s and took combat diving classes in the Army. He took master diver courses in Guam in the 90s and his old equipment from the 70s started to fail. He brought it to a shop to see if they could repair it and they told him it should be in a museum.

He did some fun diving stuff where he got to carve pumpkins underwater and help relocate a coral reef and then some not-so-fun search/rescue/recover stuff where he had to locate and bring in dead bodies. I think he said the toughest was when a family had taken the life vest off their baby to change a diaper and hit a bump on their raft. The local cops (in Louisiana) barely knew how to swim and had no rescue divers so he was the only one who close enough to help-- unfortunately, it was too late for the baby.

I believe he also dove at some ruins in Egypt, which he thoroughly enjoyed.

I liked snorkling and swimming, but could never equalize the pressure in my ears well enough to really enjoy diving. One time while 30 feet down I got seasick and puked into my regulator. Good thing there's a purge valve.

I'm glad you brought it up though-- brought back some memories of how much my father loved diving.

DSCN1541.jpg

DSCN1519.jpg

Last edited:
My father LOVED scuba diving. He used to get some sea urchin and eat it raw.
I'm glad you brought it up though-- brought back some memories of how much my father loved diving.

That was pretty cool about your father. I wanted to pursue a deep sea diving career when I got out of the Navy but that changed after I worked at a shipyard for a couple years.

I too use to scuba dive. My final certification dive was on Catalina Island, where we had to wrap ourselves in a seaweed bed, then eat seaweed until the seaweed around you floats away. After that, we use to dive for halibut down by my parents home in Laguna Beach.

Jesus what a nightmare that story about the poor baby is. How do you survive a tragedy like that…

McDavis, I was rather young when that incident happened, but I recall being told that there was a lot of fighting among the family members over who was at fault. I can't remember if it was a babysitter who took the vest off or one of the teen daughters. There were no criminal charges filed.

Mr_David, have you ever prepared frozen tilapia? My mother wants me to cook some for her but I've never cooked fish and don't really know how to do it. Oven doesn't work so we have one induction burner and a microwave. Instructions say to bake for 15 to 17 minutes or pan sear for (I forget how long) after thawing. Would it ruin it if I didn't thaw it first? Or could I defrost it in the microwave? I'm trying to figure out how long to cook it. I have steamer bags. And I would have to figure out the seasoning. With steak, burgers, and chicken I just add garlic salt and sometimes butter. My mother mentioned something about lemon. She has a short attention span (well, when it comes to human interaction) so it is hard for me to get her to turn away from her Dr. Pimplepopper videos long enough to talk to me-- and she expects 5-star restaurant quality food and has a tantrum if it's not perfect.

To me, Tilapia tastes like dirt when it is just thrown on the grill. This being said, if you thaw in a microwave, place in tin foil with butter, garlic and lemon, wrap it up tight and throw on a grill for 4-5 minutes a side (on a hot grill where you can only hold your hand 2" from the grill for 2-3 seconds max), it will change the flavor and make it tasty.

Since I just had cajon flavored sea bass for dinner tonight, that is another way to make tilapia great tasting.

Back