Main sewer line from inside to outside. Questions / need help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwright997

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a house that needed a small section of the main line going to the septic distribution box replaced. The break in the line was outside right where an existing 4" wye met the main line running to the DB. I replaced this section of PVC outside as you can see in the photos.

Now after replacing this section, I am getting a small leak on the bottom of the pipe indicated in the photos. Right where the 4" coming out of the house meets the wye. I have a suspicion that the pipe coming out of the house has a small crack at the bottom causing this leak.

I can either A) cut back another few inches of the main outside and redo the wye and hope for the best or B) replace the entire pipe running outside.

So my questions to this wonderful community are:

1) what would you do?
2) Do I need to have that clean out in the basement by code? I would love to eliminate that wall bump out. If not, how would you layout the pipes?

Thank you!

20180306_092948.jpg

20180306_092938.jpg

20180306_085634.jpg

20180306_085700.jpg

What's wrong with having a clean out outside, rather in the house? I'm not a plumber, but as a layman, it looks like a quick fix. Call your city code enforcement, or drive down and show them these pictures and see if they can provide you a compelling reason as to why it is or not allowed.

I would cut that wye off and start over. You could glue a coupling on the piece that leaves the house and get that clean out a little bit farther away from the house. Then use a shielded band on the last joint. As long as that clean out is in the first 5'-0" of exiting you are ok.

Need to have a cleanout within 10 feet upstream from building drain by code.

Last edited:
Back