Whole House Water Filtration System Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcrea

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum.

We have just moved into a new house with a well system. The previous owner has a big blue sediment filter feeding into a salt based water softener then out to the faucet.

We are finding that:

- Our water has a slight bitter taste to it
- The big blue sediment filter is getting black and needs replacing appoint every 8 to 12 weeks. I can also see particles at the bottom of the transparent big blue housing.
- Personally I would like better filtration for my family's health.

I was thinking about modifying this system as follows:

- Insert a spin down sediment filter at the beginning, to remove the heavy particles

- Next stage have the existing big Blue sediment filter

- Then the existing water softener (We'd like to keep this to keep cost down. We need to soften the water, as the water is very very hard and acidic.

- Then as a final stage insert one of the big carbon whole house filters, such as a Pelican (we had one of these at our old house)

Some questions:

1) Will this be a good whole house filter design? Any suggestions?

2) IF is is good then would it be better to put the softener as the final stage, or the large filter as the final stage, or doesn't it matter? What would be the pro's and cons?

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Attaching a very rough scribble.

Thanks!!! :)

View attachment Water Treatment Plan.pdf

I'm a bit disappointed that nobody can give me some advise on this!:confused:

Sometimes threads sink to the bottom. Let's try to bump it to the top for assistance.

First time I've seen this. Sorry.

As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't waste my money on any in line filters, spin down, cartridge or otherwise. A softener will catch as much as one of the cartridge filters and backwash it to drain. If your water is acidic, install a PH filter which will raise your PH up to neutral where other filters will work better. Have your water tested to see what you really need to get out of the water such as Sulfur, Iron, Manganese etc. Sediment is not a problem so don't waste your money.

First time I've seen this. Sorry.

As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't waste my money on any in line filters, spin down, cartridge or otherwise. A softener will catch as much as one of the cartridge filters and backwash it to drain. If your water is acidic, install a PH filter which will raise your PH up to neutral where other filters will work better. Have your water tested to see what you really need to get out of the water such as Sulfur, Iron, Manganese etc. Sediment is not a problem so don't waste your money.

Thanks,

Any idea of a good resource for getting water tested?

Thanks

It depends on whether you want to test it for safety like for chemicals etc. Or for hardness iron manganese and so forth. For safety reasons most County Health Department's will test your water for you for $10 or sometimes for free.

You can probably find a lab that will do it for a fee.

Back