Plumbing Schematic

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid

Reaction score
I am just about done with demo, so I need to plan out my waste plumbing. I have a 4 inch main existing inline with where my two toilets will go. I will be tearing out all of the plumbing that runs to that line to rearrange the fixtures. I am trying to keep my stack in the same location, because it runs through a metal roof. I will expand it to a larger size.
I believe the attached layout will work, but please let me know if you see any issues.

Thanks in advance!

Plumbing.jpg

Yes, thanks!

Are the horizontal branches 2"?

The kitchen sink is about 7 feet from the tub, and the ceiling between will be vaulted. Am I okay to put that on a new vent stack?

The tub is missing in your schematic. That would be another 1.5" vent?

The toilets are on either side of the waste branch (horizontal in your drawing). Could I use a 90 degree for the rear toilet, a wye for the vent between them, and another wye on the front toilet into the 4 inch main?

Sorry for all the questions, plumbing is not my "thing", and inspectors are brutal in my town, so it's hard to find one at a decent price.

Yes, thanks!

Are the horizontal branches 2"?

The kitchen sink is about 7 feet from the tub, and the ceiling between will be vaulted. Am I okay to put that on a new vent stack?
yes

The tub is missing in your schematic. opps That would be another 1.5" vent?
yes
The toilets are on either side of the waste branch (horizontal in your drawing). Could I use a 90 degree for the rear toilet, a wye for the vent between them, and another wye on the front toilet into the 4 inch main?
yes

Sorry for all the questions, plumbing is not my "thing", and inspectors are brutal in my town, so it's hard to find one at a decent price.

the washer machine drain needs to be 5' from any other fixture before it ties into the main. it is because of suds relief, closer than 5' will get suds bubbling up in your drains

the washer machine drain needs to be 5' from any other fixture before it ties into the main. it is because of suds relief, closer than 5' will get suds bubbling up in your drains

Thanks for the clarifications.

Never even considered that with he washer, but makes absolute sense(which is why you mentioned it). I'm really short on space, so I my have to run this diagonally directly to the main. Other wise, I would have to go the other direction to tie in between the sink and tub.

That should work. My joists run that direction, so I only have to run it through 2 of them. My front toilet will actually fall between the waste branch(?) and the new washer drain.

Okay, so no matter where the toilets fall, I need to put a vent between them. Then I'll have to run my washer down stream a little further.

So I had a little bit of a curve ball thrown at me. My condensate line used to run into my washer drain. Probably not code, but I'm gutting all and starting over.
I thought I could run the drain outside, but I have a condensing furnace. It will obviously freeze up in a New England winter.
I know saddle joints are illegal, so I was going to try to tie into a vent pipe. The line will come down right over the main where the toilets are in the above diagram. There is a trap in the line at the furnace in the attic, so no issues with sewer gas backing into the system.
Can I just tap into the vent between the toilets?

Last edited:
The drain has a trap at the furnace. Something along the lines of this:
streamline_489-007_article_1366804040071_en_normal

The path to the eaves will have to be along my vaulted ceiling. Should I run this over the insulation, or under? My roof is metal, and has R-8 foam under it, so either way there will be some insulation factor.

All the piping is in the ground, and tied into the main. I had to make a few changes do to spacing issues. A quick call to the inspector, and he said I don't need the 5 ft extension for my washer. This would have involved jack hammering another 50 sq. ft of the slab,:eek:

23473147_10154768684201008_4740746340303716510_n.jpg

23472417_10154768684241008_3186737184332346982_n.jpg

23517661_10154768684356008_8981247768426486094_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back