Natural gas fireplace - pilot question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob2

Reaction score
My natural gas fireplace has been having a problem and I was hoping to solicit some free advice. :D

It has an electronic ignition. Sometimes, the main burner shuts off and the sparker starts going, even though the pilot light is still burning.

From my understanding, this points to a problem with the thermopile. After observing it, I am confident it is a thermopile problem, as I can actually see the pilot flame dancing away from the thermopile, which interrupts the continuity, and then the main valve shuts off.

I have tried cleaning the thermopile, but I think the the flame just sometimes does not make continuity to the thermopile.

Is it normal for the pilot flame to burn almost horizontally? I tried turning down the main valve but the problem persists.

Any suggestions? I will gladly replace the pilot assembly or valve if someone thinks it is the problem. I'm kind of stumped. It almost like there is a big draft going through or there is air in the gas lines.

You can't adjust the pilot with main valve. there is a very tiny pin hole orfice that the pilot flame flows through. It's on a small thimble where the pilot tube is attached the pilot assembly.
you can clean it with a stand of wire from a wire brush.

Hold it up to a light. you can see if it's a clean hole.

There is often a port near the pilot tube on the main valve with a small cap.
Under that cap/plug is a small slotted head you can turn to adjust the pilot flame.

Pictures will help.

Hey thanks very much for the suggestions!

I attached a photo of the pilot flame. It seems rather horizontal to me?

I crudely adjusted down the pilot using the main gas shutoff valve, but it didn't seem to make a difference to the problem.

The burner valve is Dexen 6003K-3V. I must be st00pid but I can't figure out where to adjust the pilot on it:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a9uFMrn1NA[/ame]

Screenshot from 2017-01-10 23-16-49.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back