PEX - same brand for all necessary?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bixnc

Reaction score
I read in a diy magazine that, ideally, all PEX components (tubing, fittings, etc.) need to be the same brand.

My intention is to use Watts cinch-clamps with a Watts tool. Does the tubing need to be Watts for the best compatibility?

I would think that if the different brands of tubing had that much inconsistency then they wouldn't be on the market to begin with.

It would make it easier to go after a single company in the event of any kind of problem. Other than that, they are all supposed to be compatible as far as size. Some of the manufacturers manufacture proprietary fittings that need a special tool, some manufacturers make a special variety of pipe and fittings that use an expansion tool, but the ID and OD of the pipe is the same.

All PEX pipe has to meet the same standards. Watts insert fittings with cinch clamps will work with all brands of PEX. Expansion fittings like Uponer have to be used only with PEX-A. All other cinch or crimp fittings that I know of should work with any PEX and the corresponding insert type fittings.

Latest posts

Back