My first attempt

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaeld

Reaction score
I am new to posting in the forum but often use it for ideas/advise/expertise. I am obviously not very good at plumbing but don't mind trying to fix things myself. I purchased a home with gold faucets so decided to change them to something more stylish. I pulled off the old shower handle and tossed it in the trash. I had no idea I needed to buy the same manufacturer's faucet handle; I thought it was universal. I have combed the internet and looked for engravings but to no avail. I don't want to put a hole in the wall to put in a new valve (probably above my expertise level). Can anyone please tell me what brand this valve is so I can buy a new single handle hot/cold on/off shower handle? Thank you!!!!

DSCN1068.jpg

Thanks John. Another newbie question: How do I go about finding a faucet that fits? It seems like all the new ones require a new valve. I am fustrated, I feel like i have bought a ton of faucets only to have to return them.

Mike

Not sure what you mean by finding a faucet. Are you talking about new trim? You have the faucet in the wall. As far as the trim goes you should be able to find everything you need at a plumbing supply house. Just ask for a trim kit for a Moen Chateau tub and shower faucet.

John

Sorry, guess its hard when I'm not asking the right questions. I am looking for everything to make what is in the picture function as a working unit. I threw everything away except what's in the pic. I don't mind buying a faucet, trim, and another valve (which i won't use) as long as i can find a match so i can just use the parts minus the valve. So long story short, is the faucet and trim still readily available that would fit what is in the picture for a functioning shower faucet? If so, any ideas of where to purchase?

Hope this makes sense but my wife is at the end of her rope not being able to use our shower after my "fix it up" job.

Once again, I really do appreciate your help after my dumb mistake.

Mike

Should be a fairly common item, as John said. Tell any knowledgeable employee you need the trim to fit a moen shower with the old 1225 cartridge (not the new 1222). If for some reason nobody has any you could order direct from moen.

Just a tip: Avoid the big box stores, they likely won't sell just trim in stock. A plumbing supply store is pretty certain to have it though.

That valve I believe has been discontinued because of pressure balance issue so it may be difficult to find a complete valve with the trim.
But trim is still available.

Look for a plate that has both screws holes that are at 5 & 7 o'clock.
I used to think that moentrols plates would be the same because they had the same size tube escutcheon.
I recently put one in and although they both use a 1225 cartridge and the smaller escutcheon tube the Moentrol cover plates holes are at 8 & 2 o'clock

The picture of the valve is what you have.
You have 4 screw holes because that valve was made to either use for a shower only or a tub only application so you could turn the oulet up or down.

Because of that you just might be able to use a Moentrol trim but I would not bet on it.

007 (800x600).jpg

moen plate.jpg

Moen shower valve.jpg

Just so I am clear, when you refer to "trim" it is both the handle and the round outer piece that seals against the wall to keep the water out?

I wanted to take the time to thanks the folks who helped me. As it turned out, the advice was spot-on and after a trip to a plumbing store, I now have a working shower again. Thank you very much.
v/r

Mike

Latest posts

Back