how can i clear old phlegm from kitchen drain?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canyouhelp

Reaction score
so gross... sorry you guys...

a few months ago I was doing my neti pot at the kitchen sink for a while and of course blowing my nose but also you have to spit a lot and I was stupidly just spitting and rinsing down the kitchen sink. I don't have a garbage disposal, but even if I had, i shouldn't have been doing what I did...

The drain start being noisey... i would run water and then hear... glug, glug, glug.

i tried natural stuff... hot water after baking soda, i think i tried vinegar, I tried enzyme cleaners (ZEP commercial drain care) and then some Draino Gel.

The thing is, the problem is not in the little U pipe, or J pipe, or whatever it's called (at least not anymore) that's right under the sink. When i run the water hard for 10 seconds, I stop the faucet and count 6 more seconds and THEN I hear the gurgle.

What can I use to clear this? This is a rental apartment and I can't afford a plumber... I feel like the next step is gonna have to be me taking the pipe out from under the sink (never done that before but I'm sure I can figure it out) and sticking something back in the pipe into the wall... like a wide bottle brush or something? ugh...

Does that sound right? Does anyone have another way, like another less gross easier way? I have learned my lesson... no more phlegm-globbers down the drain... Yuck :)

Excuse me while I throw up.

You're going to want to use a hand snake to bust up the....stuff....along with the usual kitchen sink grease

The neti pot didn't plug up your sink. Kitchen drains commonly plug up do to food waste sticking to the pipes from what is rinsed off your dishes. If it's a rental call the manager and have them take care of it.

Back