ABS to Cast Iron main drain constriction Video Help?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopy12

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a first time home buyer and I have a question. We had a home inspection of the home and the inspector noted that the main drain was ABS but that it had a section of cast iron. There is a constriction into the cast iron and it is somewhat corroded. The inspector recommended we ask the seller to have this section replaced with ABS.

EDIT NOTE: HERE IS THE ORIGINAL. This is the video from the inspector who says there is a problem:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-cI-UbnUpI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-cI-UbnUpI[/ame]

The seller responded with a video showing the drain working with: shower running, dishwasher running, sink running, then flushed both toilets. Flushed several pieces of toilet paper.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eag2jatjJ6k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eag2jatjJ6k[/ame]

It would be great if someone with some knowledge would watch this video for a few minutes and give me their thoughts. I know toilet paper will flush but how about toilet paper plus poop? Tampons? Those "flushable" wipes?

If someone with experience is willing to watch this and explain it to me I'd be willing to compensate them.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm a first time home buyer and I have a question. We had a home inspection of the home and the inspector noted that the main drain was ABS but that it had a section of cast iron. There is a constriction into the cast iron and it is somewhat corroded. The inspector recommended we ask the seller to have this section replaced with ABS.

The seller responded with a video showing the drain working with: shower running, dishwasher running, sink running, then flushed both toilets. Flushed several pieces of toilet paper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eag2jatjJ6k

It would be great if someone with some knowledge would watch this video for a few minutes and give me their thoughts. I know toilet paper will flush but how about toilet paper plus poop? Tampons? Those "flushable" wipes?

If someone with experience is willing to watch this and explain it to me I'd be willing to compensate them.

Thank you!

images (7).jpg

tampons and wipes do not go in the sewer, they go into the trash can
along with rubbers, paper towels and grease, oil.

even that exfoliating stuff does not need to go down their.

when you cook, pour your excess grease into an empty can of beans or peas
let it cool, put the can in a zip lock and chunk in the garbage.

except bacon grease....use that stuff to cook with :D

View attachment 8142

tampons and wipes do not go in the sewer, they go into the trash can
along with rubbers, paper towels and grease, oil.

even that exfoliating stuff does not need to go down their.

when you cook, pour your excess grease into an empty can of beans or peas
let it cool, put the can in a zip lock and chunk in the garbage.

except bacon grease....use that stuff to cook with :D

I agree with you 100%. I do everything you mention. HOWEVER, my lovely wife does not. She flushes tampons and baby wipes. She also flushes dental floss....

Seriously though, did you see the video? Is it okay?

You said that the inspector recommended that they replace. So you tell them that they either replace or no sale. Or a nice price reduction off the house so you can replace yourself. It doesn't matter if its working just fine if the inspector noted that it should be replaced or recommends it should be replaced then you should listen to him. Save you from future trouble.

You said that the inspector recommended that they replace. So you tell them that they either replace or no sale. Or a nice price reduction off the house so you can replace yourself. It doesn't matter if its working just fine if the inspector noted that it should be replaced or recommends it should be replaced then you should listen to him. Save you from future trouble.

I agree 100% however we can't not buy the house. We've already sold our house and we really like this one. So we are trying to get a credit from the seller for the repairs... They are being jerks about it and saying its not necessary. They know our current house closes in five days so we are up against the wall.

Okay, I edited my original post to include the original video.

So the first video was from the inspector and the second video is the response by the seller.

That section of cast iron has a lot of build up. Doesn't look good at all.
the big problem is probably at a Clean Out they install using a Fernco instead of a banded coupling. the ABS has dropped a little creating that catch point. That is a potential problem spot for sure. If you really want the house and that's the only issue holding you back. Get the house. Dig it up and fix it.
Digging it is gonna be the most laborious. Hire some cheap labor or dig it yourself for free. hire someone to fix it right. we can help you with information on what is the right way later. the cast iron pipe after 40ft, is that under the house or in the yard. I'm guessing under the house. The house was maybe remodeled that's way there is ABS. SLAB or raised foundation?

That section of cast iron has a lot of build up. Doesn't look good at all.
the big problem is probably at a Clean Out they install using a Fernco instead of a banded coupling. the ABS has dropped a little creating that catch point. That is a potential problem spot for sure. If you really want the house and that's the only issue holding you back. Get the house. Dig it up and fix it.
Digging it is gonna be the most laborious. Hire some cheap labor or dig it yourself for free. hire someone to fix it right. we can help you with information on what is the right way later. the cast iron pipe after 40ft, is that under the house or in the yard. I'm guessing under the house. The house was maybe remodeled that's way there is ABS. SLAB or raised foundation?

Raised foundation. The entire cast iron section is beneath the front yard.

So with the separation(s) it will allow water to flow around and cause sagging, right? This will only accelerate this entire process, right?

The problem area is most likely caused by using a fernco fitting ( black neoprene coupling and not properly supporting pipe when it was back filled.

replacing the fernco with a banded coupling would keep the pipes aligned.

the problem is close to the clean out AND if it did back up, you could probably / MAYBE clear it with a garden hose

xxx.jpg

fernco.jpg

imagesF3BSF48K.jpg

What did you end up doing?! I am having a similar problem in my house (we weren't smart enough to get a camera inspection before buying). Hope it worked out for you but I'd like to hear what the result was.

Latest posts

Back