Question about sewage pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyblanco

Reaction score
Hi all

I noticed the other day when doing laundry in the basement, the toilet in the basement was gurgling. I went to take a look and the water was low so I thought maybe it was clogged. I started working on it and couldn't unclog it so I let it be.

Fast forward a few days, I noticed that the septic/sewage pump hasn't been heard in a while. I hear it regularly as the choke valve is super loud. So I returned to the basement and started running the shower, sink etc. No pump. I noticed the tub was draining slowly and then the toilet started its gurgling.

I checked the pit and the cover was a touch wet - bad sign. So I turned everything off.

It seems like the tub drained, etc. Water in the toilet is low.

I guess I need to change the pump but where the heck is this dirty water going? Is it being pushed up to the septic without the pump? Gravity would suggest the dirty water should be back flowing into the tub/toilet? Is it possible the float is stuck?

I'm very confused.. before I open the pit, I want to get some advice on if I'm looking at this the right way.

Thanks

Before you open pit, check for power to the pump. Systems are different. Some have a control panel. Some just have a float switch with a piggyback plug. ( one plug plugged into the back of another ) if you have a piggy back unplug the back one and plug it directly into the outlet. if the pump comes on the you may have a bad float switch or something has fouled it, preventing it from floating up and switching on. If you do open pit make sure you kill the power 1st. You don't wont to get baptized.

In regards to the water level in sump draining down slowly could be a leak in the drain system from fixtures to the sump or the sump itself.

imagesLB6DYSIX.jpg

Last edited:
Back