water leaking from under well cap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upstatejohn

Reaction score
I have water coming out from under my well cap. My well cap is in an outdoor, underground room with a slab floor and concrete block walls. I was doing installation of a pressure tank out there so I have been down there a lot over the last few weeks. I don't believe I have seen it happening until the last few days. We have had very heavy rain and snow melt over those days. It is actually possible the water is coming from elsewhere and pooling around the cap, which is just a bit lower than the rest of the floor, making it appear as if it is coming from the cap. The water coming outward from the cap is slow but fairly constant. It seems to be happening completely independent of whether the pump is running or not. Does anybody know what is going on? Thanks. UpstateJohn

Thanks Matt30. I didn't do that. The cap looks pretty old, and I was hesitant to mess with it before learning more. The cap is the same type as the picture I attached here, except mine is metal, looks old as dirt, and the bolts are rusty. I thought about trying to tighten the bolts, but I'm kind of worried they might snap off, though I did have a new pump put in two years back, and the pump guy stayed with the same cap. Is there much involved with taking the cap off? Is the weight of the pump and pipes on the cap at all, or is that cap just slid down over the water and electrical pipes onto something else that is holding the pump? If I did take it off, should I replace it? And, finally, if I do take it off, what exactly am I looking to see? Thanks very much for your help.

Picture of well cap.JPG

All the pipe and the pump is hanging from that "Well Seal". If you were to try to loosen the bolts, do NOT take them out, just loosen them a couple of turns.

The only way water would be coming from around the Well Seal is if there were a leak in the drop pipe below it or if the well is flowing "water level is higher than the top of the casing".

Having a Well Seal lower than the floor is not a real sanitary hook up. Any water that can puddle around the Seal can seep down into your well. Bringing it up above the floor would be a major job, but would give you some peace of mind.

I was envisioning a standard above ground well cap, not a well seal. Don't take that off, abort, abort!

Thanks speedbump and Matt30... I have not touched the well seal, so, whatever situation I have on my hands, at least it is no worse than when I first posted. I think the well seal sits just a little above the floor of the well house, but that there is some erosion on the slab right around it, which is why water coming out of the seal stays there. We have had tremendous amounts of rain plus snowmelt so everything is a huge mess around here. I have some other leaks in the well house and I've been plugging with drylock as fast as I can. Thanks to speedbump getting my definitions right, I have researched enough to know that I have one of those metal two-piece well seals (two half-pie semi circles). Rain has finally stopped and its supposed to stay dry for a while. I'll see if everything returns to normal or what, and I'll try to get a more accurate description of what is happening at the seal. Thanks again for the advice.

just an update on this... rain stopped and things have dried up a bit... there is no longer water coming from under the well seal... it may have been doing this for some time but because i was not down in the pit, i never saw it.

Yup, sounds like your well was flowing during the wet season. We have many areas along and close to the coast that do this in the Summer and early Fall. Some of them get so bad, we have to make well seals that won't leak around the wire and install them to shut the flow off.

I would be concerned about ground water leaking into the well. That is what the well seal is supposed to prevent from happening. Ground water can contaminate the well.

Back