Toilet Flange Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kman711

Reaction score
HI Everyone!

Recently our toilet was leaking and I took the toilet out to discover a broken flange. I removed the wax ring, the flange and the flange looked to be stuck to a pvc pipe connected to the pvc elbow. Which I removed the flange and the pvc pipe.

Now I bought a ring(Perfect Seal) and I also bought a few flanges and pvc pipe. The elbow seems to be very low. Would I just need to cut the appropriate length of pvc pipe, prime and cement it in place and then prime and cement the new flange in the pvc pipe, or should the flange go directly in the PVC elbow ( It seems too low)

Also, do you recommend a flange with a rubber gasket, or a flange with no gasket that you would just prime and cement in ?

Here are a few pics. Thanks for the help. Also that is wax in the pipe and not that bad icky stuff.

IMAG1899.jpg

IMAG1900.jpg

IMAG1901.jpg

IMAG1902.jpg

IMAG1903.jpg

IMAG1904.jpg

Last edited:
Use the flange that requires cement. Place the flange on the floor 12" centre from the drywall and pipe it accordingly.

Do NOT use the flange that you posted pictures of. You will have a hard time getting the toilet steady and level. Use one that glues around the pipe, and has a stainless ring.

Sounds good. I will go ahead and do that. Thanks for the help.

I like the stainless steel ring on ABS.... We don't use PVC here for drains.
The 3" hub made for going onto 3" pipe fits inside 4" pipe. But sometimes the fit is a little loose and may not glue up properly. The all plastic flanges can distort easier.

The depth of the closet bend can vary. I have seen some vertical drops in commercial buildings that where several feet before it hit the 90.

flange.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I'm back. Seems like the original owner had the flange originally secured with only 1 screw. I want to do this the right way. It seems like the hole the builders made around the pipe is way too wide. I put the new flange down to see what kind of hole I could drill and I might be able to get two screws in, but more likely just 1. How would I fix this problem and make more real estate for my screws when I drill in the flange to the floor?

Thanks,
Kman

I do have small access to the underside of the toilet area. I guess what can I do here?

I was thinking I could put a piece of plywood to rest on top of the subfloor since it is not level with the floor and drill a hole in the plywood and screw it in securely in 3 different areas, and then I can screw my flange to that? Good idea, or bad?

IMAG1906.jpg

IMAG1907.jpg

IMAG1908.jpg

damn butcher job.

I use a 4 5/8" drill bit to make holes

if it was my repair. I would insist to the home owner, to cut the subfloor out from joist to joist
in a square. add 2x4 bracing to nail new plywood to
replace floor. drill proper size hole and reset toilet
any other option in my opinion is a hack job.

if you do not have a bit that large, place a pvc fitting on the floor, trace a circle around it
and cut out along the line. with a sawzall/jigsaw

Last edited:
Just put some plywood underneath so you have some good wood to screw the flange to. Floors not all rotten so no need to tear it up. I normally add some blocks between the underside of the floor and the topside of the horizontal pipe then then run a metal strap tape around the bottom to fold it up to the blocks . this will hold the pipe from flexing down when you push the new flange it. if that 90 fitting hub is pretty close to the plywood floor I would just glue a new flange in. "spigot" "street" Be done with it.

couple layers would give you more wood to screw into. you have a floor joist on the front of the flange to set a couple screws.

cut.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back